camping essentials

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROCK PEGS......
So much better than the flimsy bit of wire you get supplied with most tents and available cheap on ebay

jasea3632 said:
ROCK PEGS......
So much better than the flimsy bit of wire you get supplied with most tents and available cheap on ebay

Yep - have to agree with this, esp as we tend to camp in the New Forest - you MUST buy decent pegs, the campsites sell them, but a lot cheaper if you buy them in advance :thumb:

Off camping this weekend, so good to read through and see the essentials... sounds like mostly beer. Luckily 2 cornies are booked in the car along with a handpull :party:

Best idea is sell the tent and get a caravan. Loads of room. No beds to blow up, dry, warm, and you don't need to put the tent up when you get there. :thumb:

bobsbeer said:
Best idea is sell the tent and get a caravan. Loads of room. No beds to blow up, dry, warm, and you don't need to put the tent up when you get there. :thumb:

It's warm and dry in my tent, I have much more room than you in your caravan, plus I don't need to get my tent serviced and it fits in my loft so I don't need to pay to store it. Add in to this the extra speed on the journey by not towing a caravan and by the time you'd arrived my tent would be up anyway. I really don't see why caravanners look down on camping so much.

Emergency repair kit consisting of gaffa tape, hammer, sail tape, spare guy rope, electrical tape & load of odd bits.
Selection of pegs
Delta pegs and clamp cleats best combo ever tent won't move a cm.

Zedilly said:
bobsbeer said:

It's warm and dry in my tent, I have much more room than you in your caravan, plus I don't need to get my tent serviced and it fits in my loft so I don't need to pay to store it. Add in to this the extra speed on the journey by not towing a caravan and by the time you'd arrived my tent would be up anyway. I really don't see why caravanners look down on camping so much.

My parents use a caravan because (in their words) they're too old for canvas (They're 63 & 69) plus it lets them have the dogs in with them at night if it gets cold. Plus mum has cooked roast dinner for two dozen in her caravan before. Everything was pre-prepared, but even so you'd need to bring very bulky extra equipment (or build it if your cobbing skills are good) to do a roast dinner that big in a tent.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Zedilly said:
bobsbeer said:

My parents use a caravan because (in their words) they're too old for canvas (They're 63 & 69) plus it lets them have the dogs in with them at night if it gets cold. Plus mum has cooked roast dinner for two dozen in her caravan before. Everything was pre-prepared, but even so you'd need to bring very bulky extra equipment (or build it if your cobbing skills are good) to do a roast dinner that big in a tent.

We have 6 gas burners, 2 gas grills 2 barbecues and a slow cooker, the only thing we haven't got is an oven but don't feel sorry for us, we get by ;) . And as for extra bulk........it all fits in the car and takes up much less space than a caravan.

Caravans v Tents... is this the new AG v Kits

Fight, Fight, Fight :whistle:

Ive always liked my camping. Always kept the equipment 'bare-bone' if you like. Two quilts, one to lye on and one on top - Gas burner and a few spare cartridges - A saucepan - my l.e.d light system that i custom built. If it fits into a rucksack then its fair game. For a long trip the table, chairs and gazebo comes along as well.

Normally when camping it would be combined with fishing so the tent would only be occupied for sleeping anyway.

Beer - and other luxuries such as food have to be carried separately.

This was the 3 man setup. Since this pic was taken weve bought a bigger tent similar to Chrig's above.
tents.jpg

Cant wait to go camping again.

Didn't notice the VW camper. :oops:

Must admit i do have a bit of a soft spot for they, but caravans, naahh. I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on the caravan front!

Festival camping I've done with just a camping chair and beer, just slept in my chair in the awning of someones tent :lol:

Use a bin bag to squash all the air out if the sleeping bags, then tie them up, and voilla, much less space used

Bitcaster said:
One of those cheapo 2 ring & grill gas cookers. Impresses the sh*t out of newbie campers when you do a seafood risotto (all stuff pre-prepared and kept cool) or something of that ilk. Another must for me is a dog - trained to sniff out and retrieve sausages 'n bacon from the tents of other campers. Only other thing I can think of is a nice dress - simply a must for events such as "The Bulldog Bash", where it is more or less traditional attire when attending the lapdancing tent ;-)

If it was a bike rally, then a "supply vehicle" for a group is more or less essential. I have a 3 room, 8 man tent if anyone ever needs one.

while i wholeheartedly agree with the notion of a scouse terrier(though surely one trained in aquiring quality booze would be more useful :wha: ) i cannot condone the current vogue of cross dressing at rallies. i can very rarely fit more than me doss bag, roll mat and tent on me bike and if you can youve got too much stuff. Some of the "delightful" evening wear exhibeted by some of the more rotund members of the biking fraternity (usually born again bikers) makes me shudder :nono:

i suggest sir if you want to be safe at a rally you should take the advice of a fellow north wales typehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_FljPpw7UI

im full of good advice me

That's not a good video at all..............he doesn't give you his contact details :lol: :lol: :lol:

critch said:
Bitcaster said:
One of those cheapo 2 ring & grill gas cookers. Impresses the sh*t out of newbie campers when you do a seafood risotto (all stuff pre-prepared and kept cool) or something of that ilk. Another must for me is a dog - trained to sniff out and retrieve sausages 'n bacon from the tents of other campers. Only other thing I can think of is a nice dress - simply a must for events such as "The Bulldog Bash", where it is more or less traditional attire when attending the lapdancing tent ;-)

If it was a bike rally, then a "supply vehicle" for a group is more or less essential. I have a 3 room, 8 man tent if anyone ever needs one.

while i wholeheartedly agree with the notion of a scouse terrier(though surely one trained in aquiring quality booze would be more useful :wha: ) i cannot condone the current vogue of cross dressing at rallies. i can very rarely fit more than me doss bag, roll mat and tent on me bike and if you can youve got too much stuff. Some of the "delightful" evening wear exhibeted by some of the more rotund members of the biking fraternity (usually born again bikers) makes me shudder :nono:

i suggest sir if you want to be safe at a rally you should take the advice of a fellow north wales typehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_FljPpw7UI

im full of good advice me
thats hilarious lol

Zedilly said:
I really don't see why caravanners look down on camping so much.

Caravanners don't look down on tents. That is an unfortunate myth, in the same way that people think the Caravan Club members look down on Camping & Caravan Club members. The reality is that both caravanners and tenters enjoy the same thing in different ways. A tent is certainly not a poor mans caravan as is often touted, and in my experience it is people in tents who spread this myth. I have camped for years in both tents and caravans and enjoyed them both.

Anyway back to the thread. Whether it be a tent or a caravan I wouldn't be without my Cadac grill. Expensive but brilliant.

Back