Can a yeast kit start rescue my flat brew - re priming hasn't worked :-(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benmeister

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had a coopers euro lager kit that went flat in a pressure keg and re-priming hasn't worked.- I think as I didn't repair the keg properly.

So as I got a bit side tracked with getting a cider kit ready ready for xmas I have just left the lager in the keg in the garage wondering what to do with it.

As it is my first brew I don't want to give up hope just yet so was wondering fi there was anyway to rescue it.

Is there something like a yeast kick starter that I could use.

I am planning on bottling it if I can save it and then start working on fixing the keg

Cheers

Not an expert in this area (or any other to be fair) but I'd reckon that yeast would need some sugar to chew on. The re-priming would have failed because your keg wasn't sealed. I'd try re-priming a couple of pints in bottles as a first pass to see how that goes.

Not an expert in this area (or any other to be fair) but I'd reckon that yeast would need some sugar to chew on. The re-priming would have failed because your keg wasn't sealed. I'd try re-priming a couple of pints in bottles as a first pass to see how that goes.
+1 on what wheazy_joe has said.
If you decide to go ahead with that, you could additionally give the keg a swirl before you draw off the beer into your bottles to resuspend some yeast which will have sunk to the bottom of your PB, especially since it has been standing for some time. Otherwise there may not be enough yeast carried over into your bottles to work on your priming sugar
I would also loosen the cap before you draw off the beer, to avoid glugging air through the tap, which won't do your lager much good, and then reseal again.
If the PB cap is the source of your problems then there is no reason why you can't take it off the PB, cover the PB opening with cling film to keep the CO2 inside your PB, do the 'repair' and reprime and recap and try again. PB cap rubber seals need a smear of petroleum jelly (I do it both sides, others just one side) to assist with a gas tight seal, and will distort and not seat properly if you overtighten. I usually do 1/4 turn after the cap has started to resist and no more and this seems to work for me. If you have gas injection in the cap, check the seals on that too.

Latest posts

Back