Can anyone recommend a Carbon water filter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone with one got any recommendations? Essentially as my tap water is fine in terms of bicarb, calcium etc, it’s suitable for brewing, however it tastes awfull so, as I understand it, a carbon filter will get rid of the unpleasant odours without affecting My calcium or bicarbonate rates which are fine.

the Mrs is fully behind this as it will meen we can drink water right from the tap, so isn’t necessary a brewing purchase, plus she hated all the plastic waste from bottled water, so within reason I can chuck a few quid at it. Looking for a user Friendly solution as possible involving minimal disruption or use of my very limited DIY skills!

it would be good to here peoples experience here.

Why does it taste awful though? If it's something like high iron in your water then that filter won't help

no idea why it tastes like that to be honest. In terms iron, water report reads 14.6 As average with a max of 41.

We have one of those big Brita filters as our water is nasty.... I don't use it for brewing though, just for the bean to cup machine and making bread etc (I don't actually like the taste of water, with the exception of 1 brand of Turkish sparkling water that can literally be used to get rid of heartburn it's so high in minerals.....). They're much better than the jug ones IMHO.

Have a look at Berkey filters.

I was living in Bucharest for a year and didnt have a car (traffic/parking there is insane!). Tap water was apparently drinkable but the smell said otherwise. After a few months carting 6 x 5L bottles at a time home from the supermarket every week I spent a lot of time looking into filters and ended up with the Berkey, its fantastic. Initial outlay is high but the filters last years with only a clean every month or so, the cost per L is about a tenth of a britta filter and the filtered water is supposed to be a lot better according to a lot of analysis I read. I still use it now Im back in Scotland and hate the taste of tap water.

As I have a B80 now I need a lot of water for brewday so collecting from my 5L berkey wasnt realistic so I drilled a couple of holes in an old plastic FV and put in 2 Berkey filters. I fill the FV to the top the morning before brewday, a few top ups through the day then again before bed and end up with enough filtered water to brew.

I've got a two-part inline filter for the kitchen from Osmio and I hate it. When it was in my flat, it was great, but since I moved it to our house, it's been a bit leaky and I've threatened to remove it.

I always use PTFE whcih doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Last time before putting new filters in, I dismantled it, soaked all the fittings in white vinegar then over tightened and broke a fitting. When replaced with a brass one and it still leaked.

Is it a problem with the filter system? I doubt it as it it's really simple. Is it me? Again, I don't think so. Any suggestions as to a solution welcome.

https://www.osmiowater.co.uk/watts-ezfitpro-ii-ultracarb-and-fluoride-water-filter-system.html

Latest posts

Back