can i do half a brew today and the other tomorrow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenwest1

Landlord.
Reaction score
i got a brew done this morning all ok with no worries then decided to get another done but i had to go out and get another sack of pale malt so that put me behind a bit
my question is
ive done the mash and sparged off but can i do the boil tomorrow as it is getting a little late

Yes, many of the members have done that. Just make sure its sealed so nothing can crawl in and you will be fine. :thumb:

The boil will kill off any nasties but as Dunfie says, better to keep it sealed up as you don't want any off flavours to develop overnight even if the bugs are wiped out.

I understand this process is gaining in popularity in europe, but my experience with it was absolutely a failure. I had a stuck mash once with my American Lager, and by the time I got it sparged I had to leave for work. I just set the wort in the boil kettle covered in the brewery until the morning. I did a 90 minute boil, and fermented as normal. What I was left with was a cross between coors light and apple juice. Lactic bacteria got into the wort before I boiled it, and began fermenting.

No matter how long you boil if a rogue microbe gets into the wort prior to boiling you will kill the bacteria, but you will never get rid of the taste of the fermentation it has already completed. Another concern is DMS and sulfides. Sulfides exist in barley naturally, but as they are mashed they become very volatile turning into DMS, DMSO, and DDMS. These chemicals can be easily removed from wort with a quick and steady hot break after the mash and a good cold break directly after flame out. Without these two key elements, the brewer runs a big risk of a beer that resembles cooked cabbage or canned corn.

Just be very careful about how the wort is being stored prior to boiling. The way I see it I don't mind spending the extra 60 to 90 minutes to boil the wort rather than running the risk of wasting 6 hours and 30.00 in ingredients.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497443,-120.852688

This is exactly what I did for my last brew.

One of my friends wanted to see how I brewed AG as he'd only ever done kits. The only way we could go through the whole process together was to split the brew over two nights after work. I just made sure after the sparge that put the lid on the container full of wort.

I've just kegged it this afternoon and had quick taste of the test jar after I took the FG reading. Bl**dy lovely it was too.

6949609043_27e0738a34_z.jpg

:drink: Chris

Latest posts

Back