Can i just put the hydrometer in the fermentor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsteve2007

Reaction score
hey guys and girls, my question is simple can i just put the hydrometer in the fermenting bin or do i need to use a test jar?

You can just put it in the fermenter - make sure you sanitise it first.

It's a lot easier to look at with a trial jar though, plus you get to sample the beer.

The way I understand it is that yes you can
BUT
you must make sure it is sterile as every time you do you run the risk of introducing infection to the whole brew
thats why it is best to use a test jar :thumb:

darn James beat me to it :D

ok cool what reading should i be getting for a brown ale after 6 days formenting ive lost my sheet do you know?

If the hydrometer is properly sterilised there's no reason why you shouldn't drop it in the fermenter and leave it there. I would guess you should be looking for a gravity around 1.010, what's the brew?

Moley said:
If the hydrometer is properly sterilised there's no reason why you shouldn't drop it in the fermenter and leave it there. I would guess you should be looking for a gravity around 1.010, what's the brew?

Its a Nothumberland Brown Ale. i am a new starter is there any kits you recommend making?

You can get a close enough guess at gravity with the hydrometer in the bucket but like the others have said, a trial jar is better, particularly if you've got a glass or clear plastic one and can see through it properly. It is an accepted convention that you should drink the contents of the trial jar, so your jar and hydrometer wouldn't need to be sterilised, although anything which you dip into your brew for taking the sample does.

I only asked which kit you've used because others who have brewed it might be able to give you a better idea of final gravity.

Kit recommendations - not really from me. Depends what you like, Edme stout is a good one for a budget kit, but you'd do better by looking at the premium two-can kits.

Moley said:
If the hydrometer is properly sterilised there's no reason why you shouldn't drop it in the fermenter and leave it there.
Actually that is not the case. The hydrometer will quickly be covered in gunk making the reading (which you can't see as its covered in dried trub) about as accurate as a blind chimpanzee with a stick. Plus the CO2 in solution will make it more buoyant.

Do the job properly FFS!

Take a sample . . . Degas it . . . gently lower the hydrometer into the solution . . . spin it . . . wait for it to settle . . . take reading . . . remove hydrometer . . . drink sample . . . with enough practice you will get tot eh point where you can take short cuts. . . . Take Sample . . . Drink Sample

Now it not very often this happens :lol: , but i agree with Aleman on this, dont drop it into the FV.
I only ever do this once the brew as been moved to the secondry.

Aleman said:
Actually that is not the case. .... Do the job properly FFS!
I did say that was only to get a guestimate, I do occasionally leave a hydrometer in a FV (only because I seem to have acquired 5 of them) but I wipe any gunk off the stem and give them a spin before reading.

Aleman said:
with enough practice you will get to the point where you can take short cuts. . . . Take Sample . . . Drink Sample
:rofl: :cheers:

I currently leave them in my demi-johns full of wine. Means I can easily see whats what at a glance. On the minus side I had to buy like 12 of them haha.

Latest posts

Back