Tilt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogRaven

Reaction score
Hi all.

I brewed the proper job clone recipe from the malt Miller on Sunday. Starting gravity of 1.060. Checked with refractometer and hydrometer, same result.

I calibrated my tilt to this.

Pitched the yeast, by Monday it was going strong.

It dropped tp 1.040 by Wednesday, then seemed to stop at 1.039 according to the tilt and stayed there until today (Friday).

I have just taken a sample ant tested with the hydrometer, 1.014. That surprised me considering the yeast I used and was fermenting at 18 degrees.
I know the tilt is not totally accurate, but that is ridiculous. I even tried my old hydrometer to be sure.

This is by far the worst performance I have had for my tilt.

Hi all.

I brewed the proper job clone recipe from the malt Miller on Sunday. Starting gravity of 1.060. Checked with refractometer and hydrometer, same result.

I calibrated my tilt to this.

Pitched the yeast, by Monday it was going strong.

It dropped tp 1.040 by Wednesday, then seemed to stop at 1.039 according to the tilt and stayed there until today (Friday).

I have just taken a sample ant tested with the hydrometer, 1.014. That surprised me considering the yeast I used and was fermenting at 18 degrees.
I know the tilt is not totally accurate, but that is ridiculous. I even tried my old hydrometer to be sure.

This is by far the worst performance I have had for my tilt.
I've got 2 tilts sitting back in there boxes, initially they are good at the start but towards the end of fermentation they become erratic, they also require calibration every use not great.

I've got 2 tilts sitting back in there boxes, initially they are good at the start but towards the end of fermentation they become erratic, they also require calibration every use not great.
When you follow what they are trying to do, I think that description is an excellent summary of what happens. It's size that matters! Not make or calibration. A "Pill" has been suggested, but even the name gives away what to expect from them! But "Pills" are less than half the price.

I switched to the (very big) TiltPRO and they are pretty good in masses of floating yeast foam. But cost a even more than standard Tilts.

But how good should they be? They only provide an at a glance progress report (Tilts. Pills, whatever). While on the subject I'd say ordinary "hydrometers" are completely cr&p and I switched to using pyknometers yonks ago. Though mainly 'cos I can't even make out the scales on those daft hydrometer things, never mind be confident to handle something that shatters the moment you look at it.

Latest posts

Back