Can suppliers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wondered, How do you as brewers justify canning? or do you just not consider this?
Cans are less expensive than bottles to buy, are lighter to post, more compact to post, and are less fragile than glass bottles. They block out light entirely and are easier to package as near oxygen free even without counter pressure filling. The cans are totally recyclable. They are easy to prepare for use, a quick spray of Starsan solution, and can be used to package ad hoc rather than a specific session. They also take up a lot less storage space than bottles do.

I'll illustrate their merits when considering a request from my son who asked if I could supply a keg for a party in a few weeks time. A full size corny keg won't fit in a fridge, and needs a gas supply, with a flow adjustable tap. A smaller 5 litre keg which might fit in the fridge, is equivalent to about 15 cans, or at the cost of the cans above, about £4.65 . A 5 litre keg with flow control is going to be about £140, not including the gas sparklet or larger gas supplies. I'd need to use the keg about 30 times to cover the cost not allowing for gas.

I don't use cans often for my own use, so they are in addition to using kegs, and I still use bottles for bottle conditioned drinks, typically the ciders I make for the family. The biggest pain in the rear end at the moment is finding a supplier at reasonable cost.

That's my tuppence worth anyway 🙂.

Last edited:
So I escape the DRS by using 5L re-usable HDPE JC

I just wondered, How do you as brewers justify canning? or do you just not consider this?
What are the HDPE things?

My post 12 above doesn't support canning. I rarely package other than keg but if I do then I bottle as documented.

Brewers / drinkers here have this to worry about

'We'll be completely out of beer': Garage Project runs out of CO2 at one site 'We'll be completely out of beer': Garage Project runs out of CO2 at one site

Come on cask ale I reckon, rent out my beer engines.

@RoomWithABrew one of these;
https://www.ampulla.co.uk/shop/plas...9S71M75eN2r1cSJ0-d0AETOKUrxnXXHxoCLZIQAvD_BwE
I still bottle my reference samples using up-cycled snap top Grolsch bottles though had them for years athumb..

CO2 is a nightmare for now, but is getting worse,,,,,:( price double for me.

Dunno how these new canners are managing with the purge,,,,:roll:;)
Thank you for the info.
I think some commercials here changing to nitrogen for driving transfers and purging.
Only because it's available.
I find N2 gas even more expensive.

A bit of a canning session this afternoon as I realised I didn’t have enough kegs free to transfer from my fermenters. So I opened the pack from the Malt Miller and so far there’s about 10 dented unusable, which I know you have to take account of but it’s my first experience of. A bit annoying but nothing to be done but recycle them.
B548924D-DADA-43F1-A31E-98CB5636E959.jpeg

I don't can* (yet), but Anna's tale of dents, makes me think that they must be packed in the carton pretty much the same way as they're stacked on the floor in Anna's picture. Wouldn't it be better if they could be tapered sufficiently that they could be packed and delivered in rigid tubes. Like Pringles. Just a thought as I don't can.

*Is "don't can" the same as can't?

The issue of dented (and sometimes completely deformed) cans is a key loss with canning, I admit. It's a shame but basically inevitable.

Although the package I got from Staffordshire Brewery hasn't contained any dented cans yet, but I've only used 24/168... They package in taped boxes of 24 which I think makes good sense as the structure of the overall package is better than the Malt Miller approach of one big box.

The Pringles idea is a nice one but it would be a very long tube... Maybe some of us can club together and establish an underground network of pneumatic tubes.

Hi

I have enjoyed reading this thread very informative. I am just about to order a kl10757 on some sites it mentions having to have a Anderson power supply and on others there is no mention. I take it I need to budget for the supply ? Also I am in South Cheshire, any advice on a gas supplier ?

Thanks in advance

I think it's an anderson plug on the canning unit and you need a 24V supply with appropriate connector Anderson male or female.
Look at the cost of canning unit,cost of can and a label. Look at cost of your beer. First few hundred cans are going cost more than the beer.

I think it's an anderson plug on the canning unit and you need a 24V supply with appropriate connector Anderson male or female.
Look at the cost of canning unit,cost of can and a label. Look at cost of your beer. First few hundred cans are going cost more than the beer.
The only reason I have been vaguely tempted is to give professionally packaged gifts to people, but economically it's a disaster unless your looking to start a micro in the future or have enough money that it's just part of the craic of home brewing so it doesn't matter.

Could one of you canners make a tutorial for other members as some may be thinking of spending some Chrimbo money received on machines etc.
Looking at some of Chopps' early experiences with canning may be helpful? It was some time ago now, maybe around Youtube video 70-80 or so?

In terms of sourcing - people may be able to do a deal with local breweries for a few boxes of unlabelled?

Hi

I have enjoyed reading this thread very informative. I am just about to order a kl10757 on some sites it mentions having to have a Anderson power supply and on others there is no mention. I take it I need to budget for the supply ? Also I am in South Cheshire, any advice on a gas supplier ?

Thanks in advance
Hi Paul,
Pennine Gas in Sandbach. I use them at the brewery and at home. There will be a deposit for the bottle, then about £20 for a fill.

Cheers

Back