Canning salt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew88

Reaction score
Hi all, Im planning to start treating my water. On brewfather it recommends a quantity of canning salt. What is it? Thanks

Need to give the rock salt I have in my cupboard has no iodine 😂 beats trying to hunt some down online.

Hi all, Im planning to start treating my water. On brewfather it recommends a quantity of canning salt. What is it? Thanks
It's a North American thing, to denote table salt (sodium chloride) without additives like iodide, because in North America the regular table salt is iodised and it doesn't work so well for pickling etc.

Whereas in the UK most table salt is not iodised, so we don't have the need for special uniodised salt - in fact it's the opposite, people who need extra iodine have to hunt down specially iodised table salt. So just use your regular table salt from the supermarket.

It's a North American thing, to denote table salt (sodium chloride) without additives like iodide, because in North America the regular table salt is iodised and it doesn't work so well for pickling etc.

Whereas in the UK most table salt is not iodised, so we don't have the need for special uniodised salt - in fact it's the opposite, people who need extra iodine have to hunt down specially iodised table salt. So just use your regular table salt from the supermarket.
Agree, when salt in north america is required for curing etc they always use / quote Kosher Salt

Latest posts

Back