CAN'T GET THE CIDER GOING

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqualung

Reaction score
Ten days ago I pressed some crab apples and some sweet apples and got three gallons of juice. I added three crushed campden tablets and three days later, seven days ago, I added some general purpose yeast. Nothing happened so three days later I added some fizzing active yeast and nutrient, and again three days after that. The stuff has just sat there with nothing happening.

Today I took the juice off the lees, the juice was crystal clear with a layer of what looks like dead yeast at the bottom. I tipped the juice into a pan and brought it up to 70 degrees for about fifteen minutes to try and drive off any preservatives. When it had cooled down i added a really active yeast starter.

Tonight I have had a look and still nothing, any ideas?

This is doing my head in. I have not made much cider in the past but this is the first time with crab apples. I have tasted the juice and it is sweet and has slight acidity. I have not added any sugar but I have added some yeast nutrient.

The OSG is 1070.

Last edited:
I have a water bath set up with a tropical fish heater it is set for 22 degrees.

Has the gravity reading not moved at all? A lot of cider will ferment without a Krausen and the only sign will be the fermenter kid buldge or the odd bubble.

Just checked the SG it is now 1050 but that would be because I added a couple of litres of water after I heated it.

I have had a taste and it tastes like sweet, slightly tangy apple juice

At a bit of a loss in all honesty. Only think I can think of is to check the hydrometer is accurate (plenty of instructables on tinterweb) and try a specific cider or champagne yeast.

The campden ratio looked OK to me and waited long enough before initially pitching.

I have tried to get a starter going in a bottle with some of the original juice, yeast and a little sugar. Previously I used water sugar and yeast. It is just sat there doing nothing, so it must be campden tablets still working. Is there a way of removing the campden tablets effect. It would certainly explain why after nearly two weeks the juice still smells and tastes OK.

I have heated it to 70 degrees, but was that enough to drive off campden tablets?

Heating may have helped release some of the sulphites. The only other thing is leaving it well sealed for a week or two and the effects of the campden wear off over time but it's a risky game so I'd personally keep trying. Once it's back down to fermentation temperature I'd add yeast again and see what happens. Maybe get some store bought apple juice (the cheap value stuff works) and make a starter with that, add it once it's chugging along? It's harder to stop something that's actively fermenting than to stop the early stages of yeast reproduction.

Thanks, I am heating it again now, I will bring it up to between 80 and 90 degrees and keep it there for a while.

Do you think I need to add pectic enzyme. I dont want jam?

I'd keep the heat fairly gentle or you might get a 'cooked' taste, 70ish was probably about right. You don't want to cook it it'll harm the flavour. Pectic enzyme can be a helpful addition for cider anyway and if you've introduced heat it's more important. Again add it once it's all cooled down. By "keep trying" I meant keep trying to get it started.

I have just put it to bed and I think it might be working. I wont know for sure until tomorow.

Just had a look now and it is off like a goodun. :) It must have been the campden tablets. At least it kept the juice fresh.

Thanks for the tips and the push. I was about to give up.

Latest posts

Back