Capped or swing top bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were a special edition beer, Phipps IPA, I haven't seen them on sale for 2 years or so, worth a google I suppose or write to Phipps, Northampton

Do you fill/carb in the same way you would smaller bottles? I have been using 500ml swingtops, but am considering getting some 750ml or 1 litre bottles as well. Have wondered if they need a bit more headroom when filling, though.

If you batch prime, you don't need to worry about calculating how much sugar to add to one bottle.

As for filling, I use a bottle wand so when it reaches the top, you stop. When the wand is removed, there is adequate head space left. Works the same way for all bottles.

I've built up a supply on swing top (grolsh, B&M/The Range when reduced) which I use for myself. A few get capped bottles from each batch. Couple of 330ml for my (17 yo) son to try (slowly moving him away from lager...) along with a couple of 500ml to give away.

If I was using predominantly capped bottles, I'd invest in a bench capper. Though, to date, bottling is done in the bathroom, so that's not been an option. Two arm "wing" capper is fine for four bottles out of forty.

Back