car battery problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not dark metalic green is it and the reg number begins with SM02?
We had one and PX'd it in the end as we couldn't find the problem!
Lost quite a bit of money on it as we had to sell it as a none runner in the end.

Wierd thing was, it wasn't too bad through the winter but as soon as spring/March came along it started to play up not satarting and power drained overnight :x

my son had this on a Ford Galaxy...
it was the alternator over charging and there for killing his battery...
he killed 2 new batterys in 3 days ..
had a new alternator fitted ...
job done ...

regards mick... :hat: .

Ill test the voltage later on and report back :) no its not that car, sounds like it could certainly be a similar problem though! Someone else has said check the regulator on the alternator but thats a definete garage job!

ryanshelton said:
Ill test the voltage later on and report back :) no its not that car, sounds like it could certainly be a similar problem though! Someone else has said check the regulator on the alternator but thats a definete garage job!

yes my son tested his and thought it was ok....
as it showed it was charging .....
but it was a garage that found it was over charging....

so they fitted a new alternator...
and its been ok ever since..... :thumb: .

this might or might not be your problem ...
but if you can rule it in or out...

then thats one more possative ...
on the road to finding the falt ...

i hope it is your problem solved ...

Hi remember that the voltage should be about 13-14 volts with the car running not 12v, as you might expect. But it sounds like an alternator! If you don't have a voltmeter rig up a car headlight bulb with a pair of wires fastened to it and then connected to the battery will work. If it glows brighter when you start and rev the car the alternator is not at fault. Do you have an alarm on the car? These can drain a lot of power while the car is standing (as I found to my cost)!! Ps an alternator won't fully charge a flat battery. So if you fix the fault, charge the battery overnight with a charger to restore it. Hope this helps!

wezil said:
Hi remember that the voltage should be about 13-14 volts with the car running not 12v, as you might expect. But it sounds like an alternator! If you don't have a voltmeter rig up a car headlight bulb with a pair of wires fastened to it and then connected to the battery will work. If it glows brighter when you start and rev the car the alternator is not at fault. Do you have an alarm on the car? These can drain a lot of power while the car is standing (as I found to my cost)!! Ps an alternator won't fully charge a flat battery. So if you fix the fault, charge the battery overnight with a charger to restore it. Hope this helps!
hi wezil... :thumb: .
just becuse the bulb gets brighter does not mean the alternator is ok

it just means its charging ...

if its over charging....
it will kill every battery you fit ...

as my son found out to his cost ...

Reminds me of my old diesel astra estate , the steering went heavy on me on my way home from holiday in Pembrokeshire ,I pulled over expecting a flat tyre but all were ok but now the car wouldn't start.

AA came out & boost started it , I hadn't got home recovery and he told me the alternator was knackered , he said I could try & drive it home as long as I didn't stop or use any electrics!
Over 120 miles back home with no power steering ,dodgy indicators , dashboard instruments going berserk ,luckily it didn't rain so I didn't need the wipers.
I'll always remember that journey!

That sounds like I interesting journey pearlfisher!!

Rang the mechanic earlier, taking it in on wednesday for him to have a look over it and hopefully diagnose the problem. He doesnt 'think' its the alternator but thats only going on what ive described so who knows

ryanshelton said:
That sounds like I interesting journey pearlfisher!!

Rang the mechanic earlier, taking it in on wednesday for him to have a look over it and hopefully diagnose the problem. He doesnt 'think' its the alternator but thats only going on what ive described so who knows

good luck ryan ...
i hope he sorts it for you ...

Interesting thread this, as I've recently been having a few problems with the battery/electrics on my Ford Mondeo.

Driving home last week, I noticed the battery light flicker on for a split second, then cut straight off again. Now problem with the car so didn't think anything of it.

Saturday, went to go out and would not start. Jumped it, went garage. They tested it, and battery was at 82% health and alternator working normally they said. Said to see how it goes and see whether does it again.

Would love to know what the problem was and why did it tho... But don't want to have to wait for it to play silly beggers to find out... Look forward to hearing what your mechanic has to say!

just becuse the bulb gets brighter does not mean the alternator is ok
Yes your right, but if it's overcharging the bulb will glow like an arc weld. So at least you'll know it's the alternator. Also overcharging will make the battery hot in short order.

If it's the regulator that's shot the battery voltage will still give you an indication, it will be at the high end of the scale, and never drop off as long as the engine is runnning at any speed over tick over. It's the constant high voltage output that heats the battery fluid, boils it dry and then knackers the plates.

looks like the car may be going to the scrappy :( mechanic cant find out whats wrong with it and auto electrician wants £80 call out and £40 hour and even then hes not sure he can find the fault.
Plus it needs welding for the mot in september. May try selling as spares/repairs and get SWMBO another car :shock:

ryanshelton said:
looks like the car may be going to the scrappy :( mechanic cant find out whats wrong with it and auto electrician wants £80 call out and £40 hour and even then hes not sure he can find the fault.
Plus it needs welding for the mot in september. May try selling as spares/repairs and get SWMBO another car :shock:

o dear not good at all...
and bonfire night is so far away as well.... :(

well it gets bloody worse ! Went to collect the car today, while the mechanic was getting the car out of the garage the power steering packed up! fluid EVERYWHERE!

Been offered £200 for it :(

Take it! It's probably more than the scrap value! Or offer to pay the mechanic in homebrew!

Latest posts

Back