Carbonating my beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich747

Reaction score
Ok folks, I know the question has been asked but I could do with a definitive answer!

My kit brew (St P's Ruby Red) will be finished fermenting in a couple of days.

The only Youtube references seem to be about force carbonating but I don't want to do that.

Would someone take the time to briefly walk me through the steps just before and after kegging. I have a cornie keg and CO2 bottle with regulator.

Happy with cleaning/sanitising bit.

Many thanks.

As you don't want to force carbonate, then the best way is to bulk prime, by rackinging the brew into a clean fermenter and then disolve 80g sugar. Then fill the corny. Not to the very top, but below the gas inlet, (the stubby one). Put on the lid and purge with your CO2. No need to put in full pressure, but just a squirt to seal the lid. Then put it somewhere warm for a week or so. Then back to a cooler place 13-16C if you can for another couple of weeks to clear. Then drink . Any beer that won't fit into the corny put in bottles, and let them carbonate with the corny.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.
Blimey, that's a new one, now I'm really confused!!
I was sent a message saying, 'Purge the air out, set reg to 15 and put in the fridge for a week, then drink!'
I didn't realise a secondary fermentation was necessary?

I'm confused; you have everything at your disposal to force carbonate, you are trying to batch prime in a corny instead? Why? Force carbonating is sooo much easier and faster. You can control the carbonation level, and you won't have sediment in the bottom of your keg.

Batch priming is always going to be another added fermentation. The point is to get the suspended yeast to eat the added sugar and become active again. The yeast will munch the sucrose expelling a small amount of C02 just as they did during primary fermentation. This time though, the beer is in a vessel which does not allow the C02 to escape, so it gets absorbed into the beer.

For batch priming in a corny, again scratching my head here, if this is a 5 gallon batch, 3/4 cup of priming sugar dissolved into the beer when racked to the keg should do the trick. Leave the keg at room temp and wait 2 weeks.... Or rack your beer into the corny, purge said corny, hookup your regulator and set it at 10 PSI, put the beer in the fridge at 34*. In 4 days you have cold and carbonated beer.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497526,-120.853083

yeah if you have a cornie then use the gas to carbonate your beer, you dont have to add any additional sugar. i usually fill my cornie, set gas to 5 psi and purge the oxygen out by opening the pressure relief valve 8 or so times. i then disconnect the gas, set psi to 20, unclip the lid handle and pull upwards to get a firm seal, then connect the gas, wait a few seconds then seal the lid. i like my beers carbonated so i will usually just leave them in the shed connected up all the time at 20 or 30 psi. i usually leave it untouched for a 2 or so weeks before having a taster. when pouring i will obviously let a bit of pressure out so i dont end up with a pint of foam. there is a small bit of sediment at the bottom so your first half pint might be cloudy but after that its fine. hope thats simple enough-it works every time for me.

Ah this is my fault.
I thought 'force carbonating' was this rolling/shaking method.
I now gather that force carbonating is just the means of shoving CO2 into your brew. Opinion is generally to put 15psi on it and shove the lot in my fridge for a week.
Sorry for confusion, I'm new to this and thanks for the replies.

I'll stick to flying the 747, it's simpler!

Force carbonating is basically just forcing in the CO2. Rolling shaking just forces it in better. I normally would set the gauge around 7 psi at 6c for an ale and leave it in the cold for at least 4 weeks, Then dispense around 2/3psi. Normally this gives good carbonation for English type ales.

Just getting my PPL too, with the hope of adding an instructor rating in the next couple of years.

Back