Carbonating White Wine in Corny????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
Experts...........
My boss was asking me today.... "If I brewed 4 gallon of white wine could I save it to a corny keg and carbonate it to make it into a sparkling white wine"??

Can he do this or would the c02 introduce an off taste?? :hmm:

BB

Works a treat :thumb:
Photo-0006.jpg

This was a Wurzel that I brewed to 10% abv and force carbonated in a corny :D

For a true sparkling wine you would probably want to hit 3.5Vols of CO2 . . . Lagers is about 2 to 2.5 Vols

I put it in the keggerator at 5C gassed it up to 60psi and left it there for a week, I did have to use a longer than usual length of 3/16 tubing to get it to deliver the wine into the glass and keep that high level of carbonation though :thumb:

5ºC and 24psi will give you 3.5 Vols

5ºC and 60Psi Will give you about 6.9 Vols which might be considered a little excessive

I have a spreadsheet for calculating it though

As for shaking, all that achieves is that the CO2 reaches equilibrium (a Balance) with the pressure in the corny faster. . . . So if you are in a hurry then give it a good shake . . . you'll soon hear when the CO2 stops flowing (Make sure you have a backflow valve on your gas line), and that is when the liquid is becoming saturated for that particular pressure at that temperature.

When force carbonating beverage in a keg using the "Shake the Sh!t out of it!" technique, it is not unknown for beverage to flow up the gas line and into the regulator . . . . Using a backflow preventer stops you having to replace your regulator. . . . .Don't ask :roll:

Thanks' for the info Aleman :thumb: Do you have access to a picture of one so I know what to buy??

John

Back