Carbonation issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Raven Brewery

Reaction score
Hey,
So I kegged some beer into a corny keg a few weeks back. I left it for a good week at 25psi as I didn't have anywhere cold to put it so had to compensate. I just left it and found it was totally flat (still alright to drink though).

I then left it for another week at my girlfriend's where it was able to be colder for longer but it is still flat. However when I pour I'm getting roughly 2/3 foam to 1/3 liquid, which of course changes once the liquid settles...but is still flat.

What am I doing wrong?! 😩
Cheers.

Firstly your beer line needs to be 2 metres long and have have an ID of 3/16".
Secondly roll the keg for 5-10 minutes to help the CO2 be absorbed.
Third reduce your delivery pressure to 5 psi.

I suspect the beer may now be over carbonated. This will cause the absorbed CO2 to come out of solution and cause the foaming, hence the flat beer in the glass.
Take note of Cheshire Cat's point 1 and 3 and see if there is any improvement. You could also ensure your glass is cold before pouring.

Firstly your beer line needs to be 2 metres long and have have an ID of 3/16".
Secondly roll the keg for 5-10 minutes to help the CO2 be absorbed.
Third reduce your delivery pressure to 5 psi.

The line was closer to 18m for the majority of the time and was sort of 'chugging' out. One moment it poured seemingly ok, then foamy. So I did cut it down at the end (obviously didn't help).
It's 3/8" O/D so I could look to get a different line and make sure the internal is right.

I did change the delivery a few times thinking it was that so varied from 1psi to 10psi.

So as @Dads_Ale has suggested I've likely over carbonated it now 🤦‍♂️ I'll live and learn haha at least it tastes alright flat 🤣

Thanks for the tips.

The line was closer to 18m for the majority of the time and was sort of 'chugging' out. One moment it poured seemingly ok, then foamy. So I did cut it down at the end (obviously didn't help).
It's 3/8" O/D so I could look to get a different line and make sure the internal is right.

I did change the delivery a few times thinking it was that so varied from 1psi to 10psi.

So as @Dads_Ale has suggested I've likely over carbonated it now 🤦‍♂️ I'll live and learn haha at least it tastes alright flat 🤣

Thanks for the tips.
Is that a typo, or did you have 18m of 3/8 line?
As already said, a couple of meters of 3/16 should sort you out. You can get John Guest reducers to go from 3/8 to 3/16 and back again.

or a flow control tap

I actually have one of those but it didn't really seem to help. But I could have been using it wrong I suppose.

where we are its been cold and a frost overnight could use these temperatures for chilling down if moving the keg is not an issue

Sadly where I am I can't take advantage of that. I'm in a back to back terrace with no front yard or garden. Hopefully I'll be moving next year and will be getting some more gear since I should have some more space 😉

Latest posts

Back