carbonation lifting sediment when opened

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc0ttie

Reaction score
So I have brewed a 40 litre batch of the Simply Pale Ale kit, i used sugar in the fermentation and once the fermentation had stopped in my fv I transfered it to bottled where i added a level teaspoon of raw cane sugar to each bottle. It has only been a week and a half in the bottle but I thought I would try one because it has cleared itself very well no cloudiness now. When I opened the bottle it seems I had a lot of bubbles rush from the bottom of the bottle to the top and with it came the sediment in the bottle, making the beer cloudy again.

Will this sediment kind of solidify itself over time or have I got an over-carbonated beer that will always lift the sediment?

I'm not sure your yeast will solidify much more after a week and a half, and I can't really comment on your priming as I don't know the quantities for cane sugar. I suspect your problem is it wasn't chilled!!! Put one in the fridge for 24hrs you should see a major difference.

I'm not sure your yeast will solidify much more after a week and a half, and I can't really comment on your priming as I don't know the quantities for cane sugar. I suspect your problem is it wasn't chilled!!! Put one in the fridge for 24hrs you should see a major difference.

Thanks I will put a couple in the fridge for tomorrow and see how they go :)

I would leave the bottles to condition, the brew is far to young to drink......:electric:

I think you used a bit too much priming sugar. I usually use half a teaspoon for an ale. Chilling in the fridge before opening will stop your problem - I've had beer that has restarted fermenting in the bottle and when opened had a huge fountain spewing out, but refrigerating stopped this completely (cold liquids can absorb much more gas than warmer ones). Also in a few weeks, if you've any left by then (!) the sediment should have compacted down much more.

They sediment at the bottom of the bottle produces a perfect site for nucleation. Thus, it will fly upwards shortly after opening the bottle. When you bottle carbonate a beer, sediment is inevitable.

The rule to drinking a bottle carbonated beer is to open it and swiftly pour it into a glass (larger than the volume of the bottle to accommodate for head) and leave a half inch in the bottom of the bottle. There you have it, A clear beer in your glass. After you have finished, down the remainder in the bottle. Ignore what people tell you about cloudy ale, it doesn't hurt you and contains nutrients, it just doesn't look great.

They sediment at the bottom of the bottle produces a perfect site for nucleation. Thus, it will fly upwards shortly after opening the bottle. When you bottle carbonate a beer, sediment is inevitable.

The rule to drinking a bottle carbonated beer is to open it and swiftly pour it into a glass (larger than the volume of the bottle to accommodate for head) and leave a half inch in the bottom of the bottle. There you have it, A clear beer in your glass. After you have finished, down the remainder in the bottle. Ignore what people tell you about cloudy ale, it doesn't hurt you and contains nutrients, it just doesn't look great.

Moly' last time I drank cloudy ale my ribs weren't great....... thanks to swmbo and her complaints about me and the nutrients rattling the sheets :rofl:

Back