Caught out by cold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterjones

Reaction score
Morning all,

Brewed on Thursday when the temperature was a nice 19-20 on my utility room, but I was away over the weekend, got home to find the temp was down to 14 degrees.
The brew has stopped bubbling, is there anything i can do to get it restarted?

was the brew down to 14 or room temp ? I think it would be fine just letting the temp come up back to around 18 to 20 might take a day or two longer but check the actual brew temp as it should not have drop as much as the room temp

It was the brew that got down to 14. I've moved it somewhere warmer, but it's not got going yet.

I've popped the FV into the nursery (warmest room in the house).

If bringing it back up to temp doesn't get it going, are there any other methods to kickstart it?

I've popped the FV into the nursery (warmest room in the house).

If bringing it back up to temp doesn't get it going, are there any other methods to kickstart it?

First thing I would do is as you have done place it in a warmer room and possibly give it a gentle stir/ paddle with your sterilised spoon. (not too rough to spalsh or get bubbles just paddle it around can rouse the yeast. Then leave it for a few days

I am still quite new myself but from what I hear trying not to let the temps fluctuate too much.

Yeah you have done the right thing. If nothing happens after 3-4 days in the warmer room then you can consider repitching yeast. I would only do this after a few hydrometer test confirm nothing is happening.

I have a fermentation fridge now as I had a few batches that got too warm. Its a lot easier now and didn't cost much to do.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back