CB Radio.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I posted about them in another thread did any members use AM back in the day before the government ruined it by making FM sets legal?

I had a few different radios including abase station i cannot remember the model number but i definitely did have a Midland similar to the one below.

1589719219510.png

Attachments

• 1589718566764.png
    1589718566764.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 130
We had a slightly strange kid at school, yes I know, I mean besides me! He was REALLY into ham radio and started conversations, on and off the radio, with “CQ, CQ, CQDX”. I remember the phrase because I heard it so often but to this day I don’t know what it means!

Brings Back memories. We had three types, AM, FM and Sidebands. It was as bad as homebrewing because you were always looking to have the best setup with upgraded heat (power), bigger power supply, desk mike and stand, aerial, SWR meter and you could go on.
I had a mate who was a certified HAM radio operator and his piece of kit was fascinating as the antenna was multidirectional beam on a tower and you could hear him talking to folks all over the world.
We started with DV27s, magmounts, dipoles and GP27 1/2 wave aerials and ended up mounting the latter up via a scaffolding pole on big brackets at the back of the house due to the bad reception and after that we were talking too people from other countries and it was fantastic.
On FM we regularly chatted with breakers inTruro Cornwall, Isle of Skye, Norway and other parts of Europe when weather conditions were favorable.
There was a big CB community in our city and surrounding areas.
Nice one @Chippy_Tea brought back some fond memories...

He was REALLY into ham radio and started conversations, on and off the radio, with “CQ, CQ, CQDX”. I remember the phrase because I heard it so often but to this day I don’t know what it means!

In amateur radio usage, a CQ call can be qualified by appending more letters, as in CQ DX (meaning "calling all stations located in a different continent to the caller"), or the ITU call sign prefix for a particular country (e.g. CQ VK for "calling Australia").

I was on AM for a couple of years before FM came along, My older brother had a sideband and rigged an aerial up and the next door neighbor kept saying that his tv was playing up not knowing that it was the CB causing it. I had an FM rig but it wasn't the same after that.

Nice one @Chippy_Tea brought back some fond memories...

I had a scaffolding pole at the bottom of the garden with a huge aerial on top (parents wouldn't let me put it on the chimney) and one of the base stations below did ok considering it was lower than I wanted it to be.

Wrexham tower block police station was known locally as the stye in the sky!

We had a good "eyeballing" car park called dead centre carpark, it was the cemetery in the middle of town. :laugh8:

Jeez this thread takes me back, all the code names for places were brilliant.

We had a good "eyeballing" car park called dead centre carpark, it was the cemetery in the middle of town. :laugh8:

Jeez this thread takes me back, all the code names for places were brilliant.
Eyeballing yeh for sure. It was so funny that you talked to people for so long and you pictured what they looked like in your head until you seen them. Bet you can remember some of them🤔🙄👀

Latest posts

Back