Ken Bruce

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well that just made my day, they used to have him on the radio in the workshop every day the younger ones tried to have a vote so we could listen to something else and the old farts said no so we were stuck with him i cannot remeber the last time i listened to radio 2 in the morning i may just give it a try again (i hate commercial radio)

1673976469102.png

Bruce said his new show would include "Popmaster, me and my musings and all the great records you know and love from the 70s, 80s and 90s"

BBC Radio 2's Ken Bruce has announced on air that he is leaving the station after 31 years hosting its weekday mid-morning show.
His slot is the most listened-to show on British radio, and he will now join rival station Greatest Hits Radio.
"I have decided the time is right for me to move on from Radio 2," he said, adding he'd had "a tremendously happy time" but it was "time for a change".
His departure comes after Steve Wright left after 23 years as afternoon host.
Other popular presenters who have also left the station in the past year include Paul O'Grady and Vanessa Feltz.

Bruce told listeners: "I'll reach the end of my current contract in March, and so at that point I will be moving on from Radio 2. Nothing stays the same forever...
"I have been here for quite a long time now, and it possibly is time to move over and let somebody else have a go."
His programme, well known for its daily Popmaster quiz, currently has more than 8.5 million weekly listeners, according to data from industry body Rajar.

One of the station's longest-serving hosts, he joined the BBC in 1977 and took his first regular Radio 2 slot in 1984.
He moved to mid-mornings in 1986 before periods on late nights and early mornings, and moved back to what would become his permanent slot in 1992.
The 71-year-old said: "I really must stress that this is entirely my decision, however some new opportunities have come up and I would like to continue my career in just a slightly different way if that is possible in the next few years.
"In the meantime, I will always be tremendously proud of my association with the BBC and in particular with Radio 2." He will remain at the station until the end of March, he said.

Full article -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64305756

I like Ken and pop master.

The stats below say it all Clint, being forced to listen for all those years did it for me.

His programme, well known for its daily Popmaster quiz, currently has more than 8.5 million weekly listeners, according to data from industry body Rajar.

I have Radio 2 on in my office every day.
I think this is the final straw for me. Love Popmaster, and Ken's dry sense of humour.
Really don't like Zoe Ball, and can't stand Scott Mills. They only daytime one I rate now is Sara Cox.
Any suggestions for my daily listening greatly appreciated!!

I used to listen to radio 2 for most of the day at work. Wogan, then Ken Bruce. Then something else whilst Jeremy vine was on, then Simon Mayo in the afternoon, folowed by Chris Evans. One by one they have all left until Ken Bruce was the only one I listened to who was left.

Sad times, but understandable with the funding cuts. The good ones retired or left for more money, leaving us with the likes of **** Mills (😆 excellent autocorrect there!)

Radio 2 is shockingly bad - nothing but middle of the road garbage all day long. It gets slightly better in the evenings, but if I'm listening to any radio these days it's Planet Rock or 6 Music, and even Planet Rock plays middle of the road garbage rock most of the time....

Radio 2 is shockingly bad - nothing but middle of the road garbage all day long. It gets slightly better in the evenings, but if I'm listening to any radio these days it's Planet Rock or 6 Music, and even Planet Rock plays middle of the road garbage rock most of the time....
Radio 2 was always supposed to be ready listening and middle of the road. If you want rock, try a different station - You're probably not the target audience. It's like complaining that all classic FM does is play classical music!

Radio 2 was always supposed to be ready listening and middle of the road. If you want rock, try a different station - You're probably not the target audience. It's like complaining that all classic FM does is play classical music!
Clasic FM only play classical music - the clue is in the title. However, they dont play anything challenging, thats for sure.

Personally I've never really liked Ken Bruce, Wogan etc - I've always felt they were speaking down to the listeners. But that's my taste (or insecurities). I think it's great that there are hundreds of genre specific stations out there. Something for everyone. On any day I might shift from Metal to Classical to Blues to Prog to Electro-RNB-Whalesong. I may have made one of those up. And not necessarily in that order.

I have Radio 2 on in my office every day.
I think this is the final straw for me. Love Popmaster, and Ken's dry sense of humour.
Really don't like Zoe Ball, and can't stand Scott Mills. They only daytime one I rate now is Sara Cox.
Any suggestions for my daily listening greatly appreciated!!
100 per cent agree with that.

agree **** music on radio 2 but I like Ken. Usually then go to radio 6 which is superb for music.

I’m not sure I’ll be listening to Radio 2 once Ken Bruce leaves. It’s only his show that I listen to. The BBC will probably install some non offensive puppet into the show as a replacement and completely ruin it, as they’ve done with Scott Mills in the afternoon.

Vernon Kay will replace presenter Ken Bruce on his weekday mid-morning slot on Radio 2, the BBC has confirmed.

Bruce announced on air in January that he would be leaving the station after 31 years in the role.
"Vernon is a lovely bloke and I wish him all the best," Bruce told BBC News, adding that he "wouldn't dare give anyone else tips about broadcasting".
Kay, who is known for presenting ITV's All Star Family Fortunes, said taking over the show was "a dream come true".
"And what an honour to follow in the footsteps of the mighty Ken Bruce," he added in a statement on Friday. "I'm absolutely over the moon to be handed the microphone."
The 48-year-old has previously had his own shows on Radio 1 and Radio X, and currently presents Radio 2's Dance Sounds of the 90s - with his "Back to Bolton Cheesy Bangers".
Kay, who is married to Strictly Come Dancing presenter Tess Daly, will start his new show in May.
DJ Gary Davies will fill the gap between Bruce's departure on 3 March, and Kay's first show.

The mid-morning show, famous for its daily Popmaster quiz, is Britain's most listened to radio programme and currently has more than 8.5 million weekly listeners, according to data from industry body Rajar.
Bruce will take the Popmaster format with him when he moves to the rival commercial station, Greatest Hits Radio.
His departure comes shortly after Steve Wright left Radio 2, ending a 23-year stint as the station's afternoon host. Wright stressed he was not retiring, and would keep his Sunday morning show.
Other popular presenters who have also left the station in the past year include Paul O'Grady and Vanessa Feltz.
Wright was replaced by Scott Mills, while O'Grady's slot is now hosted by Rob Beckett.
Weather presenter Owain Wyn Evans took over from Feltz to host the early breakfast show from Cardiff.

A fan of American Football since his youth, Kay, who has also played the sport, presented The American Football Show on Channel 4 in 2013. And since the start of the 2018-19 season, he has presented live Formula E coverage, too.
Alongside Gabby Logan, he fronted the celebrity diving show Splash! from 2013-2014, which saw Team GB Olympic gold medal-winning diver Tom Daley offer his services as a mentor to pool-bound stars.
An occasional stand-in presenter on the One Show and This Morning, Kay also finished in third place on I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! in 2020, behind fellow broadcaster Jordan North and eventual winner Giovanna Fletcher.
Over the years, he has also featured on shows such as Shooting Stars, Bo' Selecta! and Would I Lie To You?, as well as the Masked Singer. His film cameos include in Shaun of the Dead.
Speaking to BBC News in 2021, around the launch of his new ITV series Game of Talents, Kay said he felted "shackled" using an autocue and that it was more his style to prepare before shows and then "have a laugh in the studio".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64755872

I listened to Ken’s last show this morning. It was very understated, as I believe Ken Bruce is, it it was still a lovely show. The only thing now left worth listening on Radio 2, is Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the Seventies.

Back