Challenger Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriesch

Reaction score
I'm going to include Challenger hops in next Brewmaker IPA brew to add bittering, flavour and aroma.

How many grams of hops should I use and how long should I boil them for before adding to wort?

Thanks. :D

that depends on a lot of things mate

edit...

like me reading your post properly :D
time to put the pint down I feel

...edit

brew length
IBUs wanted
OG
Alpha %
time in the boil

for example

for my 40l 30ibu bass clone at OG 1042, I use 60g of 7.6% for 90 mins.

Thanks for replies.

I have decided to try 15g for 60mins, 10g for 30mins and 10g for 15mins in 3.5litres of water. That should cover all bittering, flavours and aromas.

Let's see what that will return!!

Cheers,
Kriesch

Interested in the outcome of this, for my first brew im looking to do an all challenger beer.

Keeping it simple and hopefully make it taste good.

Challengers along with simco, Apollo, and cascade are my favorite varieties to use in west coast IPAs/pales. For a 5 gallon batch of my IPA I toss in 2oz of challenger in the FWH. Then usually another 2oz 30 minutes into the boil, 2oz Apollo for 5 minutes and 2oz cascade at flame out to whirlpool.

The outcome of this brew was excellent.

I also added an additional 1kg of sugar to this brew :)

The brew has taken a couple weeks longer to condition i.e. 4 weeks in the bottle.

The brew has a great bitter taste and the flavour and aroma is excellent - right up my street!

I'm planning the same brew recipe but going to use 1kg of Muntons Spraymalt Sugar in place of standard brewing sugar for further improvement.

Latest posts

Back