Cheap 5l mini kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look just like the commercial ones that breweries sell. Not very good for re-using in my experience: hard to clean and the beer develops a metallic flavour after a few brews. I ended up throwing all mine away.

You really need stainless steel if you're going down the minikeg route. More expensive, but they work: I've had 2 10L ones in use for a good few years.

I tried reusing commercial ones. They're not very good. A pain to clean. Awkward to fill and not very good to use. Ok for ale but not good for anything fizzy as it just comes out frothy.

Tbh I found bottles easier

I got a few from a local brewery a couple of years ago and filled one with stout and the other with an ipa to go camping and they worked out well but you have to drink them quick. Saved 10l worth of bottles taking up room in the car

I really like using them with a Party Star Delux dispenser but as others have said they are good for 2-3 brews before the metallic taste so lob them after 3rd fill. I find them easy to fill, reseal etc and such a good size, so shame they don’t last.
Great if you have mates who buy them regularly from supermarket or breweries so you have regular replacements.
I’d love to go stainless but they are too expensive for me now.
Also researched some the the plastic alts but couldn’t make up my mind if they were any good or better going cornie route and worth saving for?

I think the problem with these kegs is the inner liner. If you rinse them with boiling water, the lining disintegrates which leads to the metallic taste. The lining probably wears out over time and repeated rinsing with anything above lukewarm water seems to reduce their life.

Back