Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
second2none said:
How much do you plan on making?

That should be enough easily to make a demijohn 5L full

If ur talking about a 23L fv batch then that's enough yeast but ur going to need more yeast nutrient or look up about using lemon juice or other as a nutrient :) hope that helps :)

Cheers for the help mate.
I'd originally planned on an FV batch scaled up, using 6-7 bottles of juice as someone had recommended, but I think since it's my first time playing around with non-stock yeast, nutrient, and indeed anything not pertaining to ale, I'll probably do a demijohn.
If I do, should I still pitch the full yeast packet?

Also, is the yeast the right type of yeast? from what I could see the Youngs Super Wine Yeast recommended is just a H/A wine yeast... right?

I love youngs super wine yeast coz it comes pre loaded with a yeast nutrient so i use it like a fail safe when instructing newbies on how to brew also it's pretty fast.

To answer ur question yes it is the right type,
What u got there looks pretty decent stuff I think it would be fine using half of it :)
It would only speed things up a little using it all no change in flavour or outcome

I have done this & everything went as planned but the punch was lacking. In fact it wasn't even so much as a slap. It was drinkable alright but weak & insipid so I put another one on using a kilo of sugar to try & up the ABV & I reckon its stuck 'cos only last week it was bubbling at 60bpm now nothing, nada, zip. I used two packets of Gervin universal wine yeast in a gallon so what the fuggle?
This post has been copied & pasted from another post which I ballsed up. Any idea why this brew has stopped fermenting gents? Too much sugar?

I've done one with 800g of sugar and it didn't start because ur using cordial there's not much in it that the yeasties like eating so need to use yeast nutrient and the more sugar u use the more nutrient needed!

Was it the tropical flavour u tried?
Was it fizzy, the tropical is much nice with a good fizz behind it
And if ur lookin for like a vodka kick then this isn't going to be it
This is more of a cheeky little number were you don't realise how drubk you're getting till ur dancing on the table!!

It is possible that without yeast nutrient this might not even ferment at all
Could that have happened to you?

Started making a Peach version of this today,

Smelt gorgeous when boiling

second2none said:
I've done one with 800g of sugar and it didn't start because ur using cordial there's not much in it that the yeasties like eating so need to use yeast nutrient and the more sugar u use the more nutrient needed!

Was it the tropical flavour u tried?
Was it fizzy, the tropical is much nice with a good fizz behind it
And if ur lookin for like a vodka kick then this isn't going to be it
This is more of a cheeky little number were you don't realise how drubk you're getting till ur dancing on the table!!

It is possible that without yeast nutrient this might not even ferment at all
Could that have happened to you?

Thanks for replying S2N. Yeah its tropical & I did use nutrient (Wilkos). I boiled it with the sugar for more than ten minutes too & made sure it was room temp before sending in the troops. The temp in my brew cupboard was spot on 18°C. The Gervin universal wine yeast has never let me down before. It was fine for two days, bubbling away pretty well at 60 bloops per minute but on the third day it stopped as dead as a Russian timepiece. So I'm fuctifino. I'm gonna hit it up again with some more yeast & nutrient tomoz so I'll let you know what happens then.

Cheers mate!

Just to let you know that the Co-op is selling Robinson's barley at 1/2 price- £1 per litre bottle.

Thanks!
Thou it makes me angry that robinsons should never £2 so how can it be half price at £1!

Tyronnster said:
Smelt gorgeous when boiling

glad you put this, reminded me i hadnt boiled the squash... D'OH.... guess thats why it hadnt started to ferment...lol... so boiled the whole lot, cooled and more yeast added... lets see how this goes, this time...

In principle you could use this recipe for vimto
I would retain all interlectual property rights and be entitled to claim royalties, lets say sup a "sample" pint from each batch ;)

But seriously like I said in a previous post vimto makes a good brew but I found it hard to sweetner, maybe if u used the sugar free it would help as the favour of the drink doesn't change as much and it already has a touch of artificial sweetner in :drink:

I love fizzy vimto I want this too work and is going to be my next project :)
Should post the recipe u try I know big hitters on this site like "geezah"have a vimto wine or turbo cider they are proud of but I have not seen a "Simple hard fizzy vimto"

Using dextrose instead of white sugar will keep ur flavour purer
But white sugar will do the job at half the price!

Ohh ohh and when u make fizzy vimto in the soda stream u have to use more cordial to make it taste "normal" so would say use more than is stated on the bottle :)

Excellent got the wife to grab me few bottles

Made the tropical an that is so good. My missus not allowed any of that all mine lol

How did u find the fizz of the tropical?

Think I told ppl to prime with 50g of sugar but only coz of the cold
Now it's getting hotter should really go back down a little

Thou I haven't come across a bottle that's been too fizzy yet :drink:

Kept mine still

Got back 750ml bottle of vimto should I still use 440ml as recipe states

Well I started mine on Saturday, it smelled lovely through the week and now it's stopped.

So I'll bottle it this evening and check it to see if it's ok to drink tomorrow at our 1st BBQ. :party:

I'll just have to take some WOW and hippy juice if it's not.

Am I the only one who is having a frothy airlock blowout with this recipe? :shock:

It's the strawberry and kiwi flavour which I did a few days ago! I even left room in the DJ just in case.

:hmm: :hmm:

I started a new one but ain't too active

However will test tomoz an see how it tastes

I've never had any problem with the fruit and barley frothing up and leave very little room in my demijohn I would say about 2 inches from the top of the bottle where the body of the Demi starts becoming the neck.

I think when I try tried the ordinary robinsons orange and mango it frothed a bit out of the bottle but only a tiny bit and that brew wasn't as nice as the fruit and barley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back