Cheapest brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always make sure I only brew when the Mrs. is at work. Not because of the time it takes, but I brew on top of the washing machine and would definitely not be very popular if she were to see it after a boil-over. Woops!

A full AG brew takes me about 5 hours, though much of that time is spent sitting in a chair sampling the previous brew. I know some people break it up by doing such things as an overnight mash so their `brewday' is an hour or so one evening followed by a few hours the next morning. I can see the sense of that as it doesn't remove a complete day from your weekend.

I would say cost depends on what is on offer, for a time Morrisons did kits for less than £7 a can, at Christmas I got kits from Tesco you order on line and collect from shop so no postage, Wilko do deals I got some kits at £10 each, even local brew shop often sells of out of date stuff cheap.

There is nothing to stop you growing your own grain, spreading it out on the floor get it damp and malt it and really brew from scratch. However each stage you go to needs more space, and likley more equipment, I use cans as I have not got the space, I am sure my brother-in-law living in an old farm house with out buildings could brew from scratch. But the other thing when brewing from scratch is quanty, there is little diffrence in the work involved to do 40 gallons or 40 pints, and most farms back in the 17th centry would brew once a year and that beer would last the year. However I want to brew smaller quanties and all year around.

Brewing all year around means temperature control which bumps up the price. You could start a brew today and you would not need any temperature control, it's the right time of year, but next month it will be getting too cold and last month it was too hot.

I find temperature control a problem, brew in the house and it works quite well, the central heating means it does not get too cold, and the mass of the house also stops it getting too hot, OK a little hit and miss, and the brew time varies due to temperature, but in general it works OK.

Once you move from the house the normal thing is to create a mini enviroment for the brewing, in a box, (fridge etc.) because the box is small the brewing will heat it up, so with the fridge example the temperature outside the fridge needs to be lower than 16°C or you have to turn the fridge on to keep it cool. My idea of heat only did not work, I expect you could have a fan to cool when required, but once out of the house keeping the temperature correct in real terms needs heating and cooling. So once you exceed the 40 pints that will fit into a fridge everything gets more complex.

So the answer as to cost is linked to:
How much room you have.
What offers you can take advantage of.
What you want to pay to set it all up.

There is also what quality you want, using simple sugar you can use one can kits to make a cheap beer. To improve quality you need to move to 2 can kits. As you prograss to tailoring to your requirements you return to one can kits with non sugar fermentables. Add the cost of dried malt and a one can kit is more expensive than a two can kit.

Where the kit is good is you can get the same results time after time, assuming temperature contol is used, so you can add things and know the diffrence is due to what you have added, not due to diffrent batch of grain, slighlty more time on heat, and all the other varibles. So you can learn what a can of treacle can do, or a jar of honey, or any other, I found by accident orange works well. You have a stable base to work with.

You can also experiment with higher alcohol beers, I found sugar produces an off taste, however charcoal will remove the off taste, so my next experiment is to make some sugar alcohol then remove the off taste, then either add flavors to the alcohol or add it to beers to lift the ABV without adding off taste. It may be a failure, but until I try I will not know.

I mix in the kitchen, and clean in the kitchen, everything else is done in garage or shed the latter is where it is all stored. so 40 pints is about my limit to carry from kitchen to garage so that's my limit for brewing.

AG = quick and cheap.

If you can cope with working with smaller batches, i.e. 10-15ltr target for the fermenter, the boil and mash warm up times are greatly reduced, and it becomes much more practical in terms of what sort of boiler you can work with. 3-4 hours is comfortably doable.

You also get to do lots more batches, which has positives and negatives (positive, you can try more beer, negative, when you have a good one it runs out too quickly).

If you are brewing regularly, it's worth buying your base malt (i.e. MO / Pale) in 25kg bags, as that is what you use most of. As long as you make sure it's fresh into your LHBS and you brew at a reasonable rate, you shouldn't have too much trouble with degradation/loss of efficiency.

With a simple-ish recipe, 35p a bottle is easily achievable (based on 12.5ltr):

Yeast - Nottingham - ��£1.60 (1/2 packet)
1.75kg MO - ���£1.80
60g crystal - ���£0.10
100g torrified wheat - ���£0.15
Hops - 50g ���£2
Irish Moss - ���£0.30
Steriliser - ���£0.25?
Energy (2kw burco x 3 hours) - ���£0.90 (max, the boiler won't be flat out)
Total: ���£7.00

There is nothing to stop you growing your own grain, spreading it out on the floor get it damp and malt it and really brew from scratch. However each stage you go to needs more space, and likley more equipment, I use cans as I have not got the space, I am sure my brother-in-law living in an old farm house with out buildings could brew from scratch.

I don't think that is necessarily the case, with the all in one brewing systems you don't need a lot of room. I reckon I could comfortably brew in a square meter using my Grainfather and others have an equally small footprint.

I reckon you can do a pint for 10p but that doesn't include electricity or equipment and requires a LHBS close to you. It also involves spreading the cost over several brews but doesn't necessarily involve buying in bulk. I've also no idea of the taste but I may actually try this as keeping costs down interests me.

My LHBS sells Irish Ale Malt for £1/kg - 3kg is needed.
Columbus hops 14.7% £3.99 (or any high alpha hop)
Safale US 05 £2.35

So total for your first brew is £9.34

From the above I could brew a 17L brew @ 3.9% which equals 27p a pint.

But the yeast can be reclaimed and split for a conservative 10 brews and the hops will last much longer so that's 9 further brews for £27 as we only need the grains.

So for 10 brews the cost is £36.34 and the average pint is 10.5p of maybe not good but probably sessionable beer. If you grow your own hops and bought in bulk you could bring that price down further.

There is an upgraded controller coming later this year I believe, don't know any details of it yet but can guarantee it'll cost more than the stc1000! :lol:

Cheers i have spotted that but am unimpressed they went b/tooth BLE instead of wifi for coms limiting options for recipe input, not that im particularly excited about plugging info into a puter to set a controller rather than direct access myself, and i see little benefit from using someone 'elses brewprofile' but even if useful to someone the b/tooth route is short sighted. a $1 iot chip would have been a much better inclusion imho

8 hours, a brew to do, and your choice of radio station/music = Bliss.

That does sound like bliss, however I'm rarely ever in any one place for 8 hours not even my bed. Some live fairly relaxed lives, but some of us live crazily busy lives: not making excuses but I really struggle to find more than a few hours brewtime. A whole day? Never going to happen, at least not in the forseeable future :-(

Latest posts

Back