Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bottled this and after back sweetening with more Vimto, it turned out at 4.25%.

It's absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for the recipe! :drink:

Hi all

I have tried to read through this twice so i apologise if my questions have been answered and i have missed it.

I have 5 Litres of this on the go, been bubbling away nicely for 24 hours and the first thing i have made that has not been from a kit so quite excited.

Just for clarity, if i want this as a flat drink i kill the yeast with Campden and then Potasium sorbate, clear with finings, possibly filter and bottle.

if i want it fizzy wait until SG is where i want it then place somewhere cold to stop the yeast working, let it all settle, syphon into bottles and add about 1/4 tsp of suger into each bottle to start secondary fermentation.

Providing i have the above correct will i get sediment in the bottles from the secondary fermentation?
How long is the secondary fermentation likely to take (i may have a problem with patience!)?
Is there then a life of the drink or a point where the secondary fermentation causes too much Gas, pops bottles etc?

I have read about gassing manually with CO2, is this like a soda stream or is ther a gadget that will allow me to do in the bottles or os it something you need a keg for?

Thanks
Rob

yeh thats a question i have....

if i want it fizzy do you just avoid using the campden tablets and Potassium Sorbate altogether???

cheers,
Dave

After a week of fermentation the alcohol volume was at about 7% so i decanted into a second demijonh to remove the yeast from the bottom of the brew (however there wasent that much) and then placed the whole lot into the fridge which has stopped the yeast and it has cleared again.

Im going to syphon it off again and then bottle with a tsp of sugar in each, leave the bottles somewhere warm for about a week and then chill again where i hope it will drop clear.

I'm only decanting again as i know that if i try and get straight into the bottles i will disturb the sediment....

I did concider filtering it however i am guessing that that would remove too much of the yeast and stop secondary fermentation.

I will let you know in about a week =)

Rob

No, as i figure that this also stops the yeast from working

But i may be wrong... :pray:

Rob

Well I'm back after ages...

I made the Vimto cider roughly to the spec that I posted on the previous page. I think I probably ended up adding one kilogram of sugar in the end, oh and I also ended up with 6.5L of Vimto.

I was away during the time that I planned to stop it from fermenting, so it went all of the way and it ended up being about 8.5%

I then back-sweetened with Canderel. I didn't add tanning or anything but I did add potassium sorbate and campden power when fermentation was over. I force-carbonated in a basic barrel.

This was by far my most successful and popular brew so far as it was not to dry like all of my others, I think it definitely benefited from the extra Vimto. I took the barrel to a New Years Eve party and it went down a treat. However, I did make the mistake of drinking too much of it and passed out when I got into town, missing out on the transition of years :?

I'm making another batch this week for a party at the end of the month. I'm going to make the following adjustments:

• NOT ADDING ANY SUGAR - Lord knows there's enough sugar in this from all of the juice and the Vimto. I'm hoping to go for about half of the percentage.[/*:m:8dm4da1g]
  • Adding a bit of tea.[/*:m:8dm4da1g]
  • Cleaning the boiled Vimto off of the hob before it turns to tar...[/*:m:8dm4da1g]
  • Stopping fermentation early to retain natural sweetness. - This show help keep the percentage down and I thought that the Canderel put a bit of an artificial edge on the taste that I didn't like. I also think adding sweetener is cheating :P[/*:m:8dm4da1g]
  • This time I'm going to use my shiny new (refurbished) Cornelius keg![/*:m:8dm4da1g]

Hi all

Was Cheeky Vimto invented by Muddy Disco?

i've just spent about an hour reading all this thread (missing the start of MOTD), and there is still one thing I don't understand.

I've probably missed it, but how do i make this cider strong, medium sweet, and bottle it and get fizz?

Only done a couple of kits of beer, and fancied doing this for a bit of a laugh and to get lashed up with the missus. I therefore know nothing about cider or wine making.

If I add that Potassium Sorbate to stop fermentation to stop it getting too dry, this apparently has the affect that the cider isn't as strong, and that if bottles it will be flat.

Do Camden tablets do the same thing as Potassium Sorbate, or do Camden tablets have a different feature?

If I don't add it, it will be dry cider, and i assume that if I add more sugar to prime the bottles, that will also be fermented, leaving the cider strong, fizzy, but dry, not medium sweet.

I assume the answer is to add something sweet that won't get fermented. Does such a thing exist? What if i used Vimto cordial (perhaps diluted) as this would not get fermented if it isn't boiled (to my understanding anyway)? Or is there an other way? Hope this makes sense?

Your help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I've just made a batch of this, after a successful Ginger Beer a week and a half ago, and my sister drinking the Blue WKD and Port version a few weeks ago.

So 4.5L

1L of Vimto boiled for 20 mins (reduced to 700ml after boil)
350g of Cane sugar added for last 10 mins of boil
3.8L LIDL Apple juice (100% fruit)

Cooled the boil slightly, then added to Plastic DJ (Asda spring water bottle)

OG 1080, which is exactly what I was aiming for, after calculating sugar required using

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

Pitched in half a sachet of Young's Champagne yeast, and leaving it to do it's thing.

The sample was tasty, but VERY sweet - Looking at an ABV of around 9% - Loopy Juice indeed!!! :drunk:

Spitefire, does back sweetening mean i can have my brew strong, as well as medium sweet and bottled fizzy?

Does candarel not get fermented?

I am going to start this tonight.

candarel is an artificial sweetner (not sucrose or glucose or fructose, but mostly aspartame(?)) and so the yeasties can't consume it as fuel, and so it doesn't ferment, but does add sweetness.

thanks Crastney, so when priming, i should add sugar for secondary fermentation and fizz, and add candarel for sweetness?

I don't know what candarel is, other than it exists and has been advertised on tv. How much doe i ned to use to turn 1 litre of cider, for example, from dry to medium? any idea?

Just taken a sample of cheeky vimto and hydrometer says 1070, which hasn't moved much since Wednesday's 1080!

It has looked like the yeast has been doing it's thing, quite fascinating to watch at times, so thinking I should just let it be and keep an eye on the temp?

Tempted to warm up the other half of the yeast sachet and bung it in though?!? (Currently in the fridge, so would let it come up to room temperature?

Any advice?

Jesus,

I put my first batch of this on a couple of weeks ago.

4l Tesco Apple Juice
750ml Vimto
250g Sugar
Youngs wine yeast

I was a little apprehensive about using the wine yeast as I thought it may strip out all of the sweetness. I was wrong.

Started at 1074 and I've just checked it now and it's at 1004!!!

9.3% and with a nice sweetness. Rocket fuel :drunk:

Ok guys, gonna have a bash at this. So can someone please post me a recipe for a 1 gallon brew, & also i have red & white wine yeasts which one do you reckon will be the best?

Muddy Funker said:
Jesus,

I put my first batch of this on a couple of weeks ago.

4l Tesco Apple Juice
750ml Vimto
250g Sugar
Youngs wine yeast

I was a little apprehensive about using the wine yeast as I thought it may strip out all of the sweetness. I was wrong.

Started at 1074 and I've just checked it now and it's at 1004!!!

9.3% and with a nice sweetness. Rocket fuel :drunk:
So, will you let this ferment all the way out, or stop it at a certain point?

Started mine off tonight. Exactly the same recipe as Muddy Funker so hopefully all will be ok. I got a sg of around 1070. I have read on here that it doesnt have a very vigorous ferment, but being cautious i just topped up to the shoulder of my demijohn. Will probably top all the way up after a few days, is this what everyone else has done?

I coincidentally sued almost exactly the same recipe as muddy funker.

Mine has been going for a week now. Took a couple of days to get going but has been chugging away for 5 days now. Was quite vigorous for a few days, but seems to be slowing down now.

I want to sweeten this with something that cannot be fermented, but i also want to add sugar when i bottle so i get fizz. Not sure how to achieve this. Wonder if i should add some non-boiled vimto to the bottles? or woudl this ferment away too?

Latest posts

Back