Chilli beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just found this recipe online, I'd love to do a chilli beer and am undecided whether to make it a thick dark chilli chocolatey beer, or a summery ale with a chilli kick. The best way to cure this indecision is to brew both!

I grow my own chillies, and have done for years, although my crop this year looks like it's going to be feeble at best, so I may need to buy some for the brews.

This is an american recipe, does anyone see any problem with it being converted to UK measurements? Any tips or advice? I won't be doing this for a while as I have two more brews planned before this goes ahead.

(Taken from: http://www.yeastboundanddown.com/2010/0 ... er-recipe/)
Mash

8lbs 2 Row Malt
1lb CaraFa II
1lb 40L Crystal
.5lb Special Blend
.25lb Roasted Barley (400L)
70 minute, single infusion mash at about 155ºF

Boil

1oz EKG at 60 minutes
3 Jalapeño Peppers washed and halved at 15 minutes
1tsp Irish Moss at 15 Minutes
The Jalapeños were removed after the boil, which we thought was a mistake at the time; although, the beer certainly tastes good.

Fermentation

We used Wyeast 1056 with no started in our 6.5gal glass carboy. We added 3 halved chipotles into the carboy as well (we washed and microwaved them to kill any microbes). Our original gravity was 1.054

After about 6 days, we racked it to secondary and added 4 more chipotles and 3 washed and halved habañeros. We tasted it multiple times a day. After 5-6 days we kegged and force carbed it.

I've just scaled this down to 2 gallons and happened to have the ingredients in the cupboard (except for the roasted barley, so added extra pale malt) The mash is on now :party:

All done, just waiting for it to cool a little bit. OG is 1039, so should be about 4% once done. The wort is very tasty with a hint of chilli, and there's a red Jalapeño floating on the top which I hope will add to the flavour :evil: . Just a tip for anyone else who decides to give this a go, don't itch your eye after cutting the chillies up :oops:

Usually best to stick to it exactly, or put it into a calculator. There's no problem whatsoever, although american gallons are different to british slightly!

I ran my recipe through BrewTarget, and adjusted the recipe to 2 UK gallons from the 6.5 US gallons in the original recipe, so it should be all good.

Ive been thinking about this aswell. I fancy a brown ale with a subtle chilli kick in the background, perhaps just enough to get a bit of an aftertaste. Im not sure how a light summer ale would go but i think the darker one would b wicked. But as you say the only was to find out would be to try both!!

I bottled this last night. I didn't add any habaneros as I didn't want it too hot. First taste, a very nice beer with a heat hit after taste. I may be making more of this :grin:

I'm just coming to put the order together for this and have come up with:

DINGEMANS PILSEN MALT PER KG 3.36kg
WEYERMANN CARAFA TYPE 2 500G 0.42kg
Crystal malt 0.42KG
Roasted Barley 0.105KG

EKG 29g

But it's missing the special blend as I can't find any reference to it on the Malt Miller site, can anyone provide any hints as to what it is? Also, I can't seem to find Wyeast 1056, what would be a good equivalent?

I brewed a chili beer after finding one at bevmo and drinking a lot of them in Japan. I've made a simple American lager, kept it in the brite tank for 6 months, then added one jalepeno per bottle.

Thanks Keith, after posting I did some research of my own and found lots to say the same thing. I'll do this with S05. Also I managed to find the special b on the Malt Miller site, it appears the search function isn't totally reliable. I'm looking forward to brewing this now, although it won't be for a few weeks yet.

I was recently bought a bottle of Frans Chilli Beer from Ballards - here

For me, I was not sure about chilli and beer - but it certainly had some kick and wasn't an unpleasant experience. My bottle was nearer 3 months old ( date the chilli was added was on there )

They add the chilli into a normal pale ale at bottling - could be a good way to experiment without committing to lots of it :thumb:

The Goatreich said:
Thanks Keith, after posting I did some research of my own and found lots to say the same thing. I'll do this with S05. Also I managed to find the special b on the Malt Miller site, it appears the search function isn't totally reliable. I'm looking forward to brewing this now, although it won't be for a few weeks yet.
So have did this 1 go ? And whats the verdict Goatreich ?

Still on my to brew list. I'm still working on building up stocks of my three house brews. I'm struggling to keep up even though I don't actually drink that much!

Back