Chlorine Dioxide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adomant

Regular.
Reaction score
I have started this to get your collective thoughts and experience on Chlorine Dioxide as I see it is emerging as a santisier / steriliser and as a yeast washing agent - particularly in the US.

It is used to make water safe to drink and it can be bought of the shelf to sanitise water for drinking while abroad.

It has a massive kill factor and seems to be rinse free, not sure of the dilution rates for contact kill, rinse free, yeast wash and drinking etc... clearly the level required for killing bacteria but not yeast needs to be accurate - i.e. Danstar do not use it as they think there could be issues with uniform concentration.

It is highly unstable so can't really be transported. On an industrial level it is made on site or provided as 2 chemicals that when mixed together produce it (Sodium Chlorite and an acid such as phosphoric, citric, acetic), not sure of the quantities on a domestic scale but 1g of chlorite and a drop of acid would work for a lot of water. It is available off the shelf as tablets or drops in travel packs - again need to know the dilution rates for different uses.

It's great, effective concentration for our purposes of yeast washing is 20ppm . . . I'm still trying to find my notes from '96 or '97 about its usage . . . . but basically, add ClO2 solution to yeast slurry to give a 20ppm concentration (I do it on a stir plate) then leave it for a couple of minutes and pitch. Job Done

Very effective bactericide, much better than acid washing . . . but both are ineffective against wild yeast

I'm using it as daily disinfectant, 200 ppm is base strength. I'm buying it as stabilized, mix with citric acid (included for convenience by my seller), proportion is 1:23:1 (clo2:water:acid), mix in this exact sequence. This makes 2000 ppm solution which has to be used within 60 days. Dilute it in 1:9 proportion with water before use, I'm taking 500 ml of solution and add 4.5L of water. It's ready in no time.

It's cheap here, and highly effective.

I don't know how this looks in UK. Here it is sold in 1 litre bottles, sometimes with ready made acid solution included. Mine has a market label Armex 5 + Mexacid, I remember there was also ready made active 2000 ppm solution under the name Armex 2000, but it was sold only in bulk (20 litres?, or so I think). From what I saw on t'interwebs stabilized form is most common everywhere.

Stabilized form is most convenient, just take 100 ml of stabilized solution, dilute, add acid and voila, you have active solution for 5 times, that's 2-3 batches (primary, sometimes secondary, and bottling).

Latest posts

Back