Chocolate Malt - How Much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought two Coopers Brew A IPA kits a few months back. The first one I brewed was uninspiring to say the least in spite of additions and dry hopping, so I decided to do something a bit different with the second one as an experiment to turn it into a dark ale/porter type.
To kit can and using kit yeast, I will add 100g dark muscavado sugar, 500g DME, 500g golden syrup and 3 cups strong espresso coffee like I add to my Coopers Stouts and brew to 19 litres, plus 100g steeped crystal grains for bit of sweetness and mouthfeel. I'll also add a hop tea at the end with 25g of EKG or similar
But here's the question...I have bought some chocolate malt to go with this too. Since I haven't used this before I was wondering how much to use. I don't want to overwhelm it but want it to come through so was thinking of 250g of chocolate with the crystal in the grain steep.
Does this quantity of chocolate malt look about right?

According to my stout/porter book you dont want to add more than 10% choccy. I put your receipe through brewmate and 300g gives 9.68% so I think 250g would be fine.
I once made burton bridge top dog stout (more like a porter really as it has no roasted barley in it) which has 300g of choccy for 19L. That worked out fine too

Edit: Looking at some other reciepes seeing as your using a stout kit which will already have Roasted barley in it, I'd reduce the choccy to 100g-150g

Brill.
MyQul thanks for that
250g choccy malt it is, since I am not using a stout kit.
I looked at the BB website and found they use Challenger hops in the Top Dog Stout you mentioned and Challenger and Target in their Porter. Although I have both in my store I will probably just use Challenger in my hop tea.
And I am also now inspired to visit their pub in front of the brewery again when I next visit Burton.

Just reread you OP. Your using the IPA kit right? So you you'll be ok with 250g choccy. Theres some reciepes in the back of my stout/porter book and the first one, a basic brown porter uses 227g choccy.

Latest posts

Back