Cider always stops at ~1.020sg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgbett

Reaction score
Hi,

I usually get a gallon or 2 worth of juice from an old apple tree in the garden each year.

Over the years I've experimented, bit more nutrient, bit more sugar etc

Looking back over my notes it doeasnt seem to matter where I start from in terms of SG it always seems to stop at around 1.020sg (measured with a refractometer)

I see lots of people talking about getting a lot closer to 1.000, but then others suggest higher is normal.

I've also tried with AJ from the supermarket to make the odd batch of turbo with pretty much the same results.

I've tried random cider yeast, champagne yeast, high alcohol yeast, and in this most recent batch the bog standard wilko gervin all purpose. None of which seems to make a difference. Probably I should just be happy that it doesn't taste awful and does the job? :)

Hi,

I usually get a gallon or 2 worth of juice from an old apple tree in the garden each year.

Over the years I've experimented, bit more nutrient, bit more sugar etc

Looking back over my notes it doeasnt seem to matter where I start from in terms of SG it always seems to stop at around 1.020sg (measured with a refractometer)

I see lots of people talking about getting a lot closer to 1.000, but then others suggest higher is normal.

I've also tried with AJ from the supermarket to make the odd batch of turbo with pretty much the same results.

I've tried random cider yeast, champagne yeast, high alcohol yeast, and in this most recent batch the bog standard wilko gervin all purpose. None of which seems to make a difference. Probably I should just be happy that it doesn't taste awful and does the job? :)
Have you tried measuring with a hydrometer as I know that using the refractometer will be skewed due to the alcohol although there is a correction factor to be applied.

Hi sgbett and welcome to the forum.
I have made 7 turbo ciders all with different juices added to the apple juice and every one, bar one, the FG came down to1000, the other down to 998. So I think the use of a hydrometer, as Gerryjo suggested, might give you a more accurate reading.

I agree with the guys, mine always finishes around 1000, 1020 would be super sweet, is that how it tastes?

I agree with the guys, mine always finishes around 1000, 1020 would be super sweet, is that how it tastes?
Taste dry as a bone (which is good cos that’s how I like it!)

I do have a hydrometer! I’ll give that a go and see what it says. Thanks all!

I'm also finding refractometer values higher then they ought to be. i suspect this is due to changes in refractive index from colour and other products in the brew (non-sugar. non-alcohol). The only thing that matters is taste

Latest posts

Back