Cider, can I use wine fininings ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andee

Reaction score
Hi guys
My first batch of apple cider is just about to finish its ferment, and I am tooooo eager to see what its like lol
my question is, can i use youngs 2 stage wine finings to speed up the clearing ?
and if yes, will this have much impact on the taste
cheers guys

p.s just seen my massive typo lol sorry :oops:

Best to wait for ferment to finish, but yes finings will clear the cider without affecting taste. I would add stage 1 (kiesol) wait 2 days and add stage 2 (chitosan) then wait 5 days to drink. If you are in a hurry, then just drink it cloudy without finings. If you can wait a day then better to add stage 1 only and find a way to chill the fermentor (leave in garage)

thx mate, very helpful info
now plz excuse my further questions, but if i use the stage 2 finings and then leave till clear, can I still prime the bottles as normal, and if so how long do i leave the primed bottles before drinking
i am new, :oops:

you can and the bottles will need 7-10 days to get fizzy after priming. I would say not to bother with the finings in this case, just prime and bottle when the fermentation has finished (you may get exploding bottles if it hasn't stopped bubbling in the ferment) leave the bottles in a warm place for a day or 2 and in a cool place for a week or so. the cider will clear by itself and the yeast will stick to the bottom of the glass better if finings are not added

Back