Cider Kit - but should I Really follow the instructions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all :thumb:

I'm doing my second cider kit (the first cider kit 2 years ago need not be mentioned :sick: )

It looks like its fermenting nicely.

Thing is, it's this basic kit: http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/shop/ ... cts_id=413

One of the "reviews" of the product near the bottom of the page says "Must leave in a dark place for a good 3 months. Tastey".

Does this guy mean leave it in the brewing bucket for 3 months? Or after bottling, leave it then?

I'm a newbie to this, so please excuse my ignorance!

Nick :cheers:

That would be after bottling.

The chap who runs Cheers Homebrew in Cheam, runs a cider making course in Somerset each year, and you get to take home a load of the pressed juice. That just gets left after the initial fermentation has died down, over winter, and then in the spring fermentation takes off again . . . which really dries it out . . . good stuff

Bottle it up. Leave it for 3 month's in a dark place-alternatively start driniking it after a week and hope some lasts 3 month's. :cool:

If you're bottling it to make it fizzy, leave it at room temperature for a week - then a cooler place (outside in a shed/garage) for the remaining 3 months/2 weeks. ;)

If it freezes then you might have exploding bottles - but unless the temperature really drops then I don't think there'll be a problem.

My outhouse has never had a problem with freezing temperatures (I have my bottles, kegs & serving fridge in there), but then it is just off the back of the house and so accomodates some warmth from the rest of the house.

Some old curtains, blankets etc would insulate enough to protect from our winter temperatures - unless you're way up north?

No no, I'm in the west midlands/staffordshire.

I'm sure it'll be ok.

Although even if it does freeze, will it hinder the taste at a later date?

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back