Cider kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy44

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a wilko cider kit fermenting and it's been in the bucket for 14 days and is still bubbling away, the temperature has been steady from day one. Any ideas why and shall I be patient. Thanks

Yes be patient. You could take a sample and measure it with a hydrometer to see where it is at. Or just leave it for a few more days or a week. It won’t do any harm. I usually take a sample and another 48 hours later. If the reading is the same then you can bottle. If the reading is different then leave it for a few more days.

Yes be patient. You could take a sample and measure it with a hydrometer to see where it is at. Or just leave it for a few more days or a week. It won’t do any harm. I usually take a sample and another 48 hours later. If the reading is the same then you can bottle. If the reading is different then leave it for a few more days.
Thank you Damienair I will give it a few more days

My son did one a couple of months ago, took just over 3 weeks to finish fermenting. When I explained bottle bombs in the context of Breaking Bad-Schraderbrau he got the point and waited. Came out great in the end.

My son did one a couple of months ago, took just over 3 weeks to finish fermenting. When I explained bottle bombs in the context of Breaking Bad-Schraderbrau he got the point and waited. Came out great in the end.
Hi Alastair, according to the kit it should have a final gravity of 1008, I have taken 2 readings and it's at 1000 and still bubbling is this OK. Tia

Do you mean 1.010, 1.000 is just water. How long is since you pitched the yeast, my sons batch ran for three weeks and we bottled on the fourth. A bit of extra time in FV is generally a good thing.

I would never trust Cider kit instructions that state a final gravity of anything over 1.000.
John Bull are probably the worst - they use (or at least used to) the same generic instructions for the Beer kits. I had a very unhappy customer that bottled his cider at 1.008, only to be faced with several very dangerous bottle bombs...

I would never trust Cider kit instructions that state a final gravity of anything over 1.000.
John Bull are probably the worst - they use (or at least used to) the same generic instructions for the Beer kits. I had a very unhappy customer that bottled his cider at 1.008, only to be faced with several very dangerous bottle bombs...
Thanks for the info, are you saying cider should be 1.000?

Or less. Cider from apples can go way below 1.000 - maybe as low as 0.995.
Kits are obviously different as they use apple juice concentrate rather than pure juice.
As long as you have a steady (a few days or so) gravity reading of around 1.000. you should be fine!

Or less. Cider from apples can go way below 1.000 - maybe as low as 0.995.
Kits are obviously different as they use apple juice concentrate rather than pure juice.
As long as you have a steady (a few days or so) gravity reading of around 1.000. you should be fine!
Brill thanks

If your at 1.000 then there’s nowhere to go, so bottle away. Glad some cider makers could contribute.

And I can’t help thinking of Nigel Tufnell “The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven….” as I type the first bit.

Last edited:
Back