Cider not fermenting - please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicarage_brewe

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post - I hoped it wouldn't come to this and my very first cider journey would be one of simple pleasures...

I have 2 x 5 gallons of apple juice 'fermenting' (from my garden apple tree), originally the gravity was 1055 - I added campden powder (1 heaped teaspoon per gallon), and then added Young's cider yeast 28 hours later, I gave it a few days and the gravity reading was 1049.

However, that was some weeks ago - there has been no visible signs of fermentation and the reading has remained the same. So...after noticing no movement I added the same volume of Young's cider yeast, gave it a week and still nothing. So, I then added Young's Champagne yeast a week later, and also added yeast nutrients to assist - still nothing.

I've moved them next to the radiator as I've read that yeast is helped by a 16 degrees plus temp, I've regularly shaken/stirred....I'm now at a loss as to what to do next.

Should I re-try with a different yeast (non-Youngs?), different temp? Could it be that I've added too much campden powder? Could it be, for whatever reason, this is just a non-starter?

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated - many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Steve

Campden powder? The powdered version is known as sodium metabisulfite, one LEVEL teaspoon is equal to ten Campden tablets, the correct dosage being one TABLET to each gallon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campden_tablets) . So it would seem that you have added something like 20 times the correct dose which is possibly why nothings happened yet.
Using the normal dose the effect on the yeast is normally over after 24 hours but I'm afraid I don't know about the concentration you seem to have.

Also you've posted this in the wrong forum, you might get more responses in "wine and cider discussions". Or a mod may well move this for you.

Thanks for your help Keith - the instructions on the label ('ritchies' is the manufacturer) said that 1 level teaspoon = 1 campden tablet, and to use 1 measure per 4.5lt.

Thanks again..I've also moved to the correct forum

keith1664 said:
Also you've posted this in the wrong forum, you might get more responses in "wine and cider discussions". Or a mod may well move this for you.
Moved the one with your comments and deleted the duplicate thread. VB's right, you can buy Campden powder, although I never have and it must be mostly a bulking agent.

VB: Welcome to the forum, sorry things aren't going to plan though.

If you've got a demijohn or a large mineral water bottle I would suggest you mix a litre of white grape juice, a litre of cheap apple juice, cider yeast and nutrient, shake it vigorously to get plenty of oxygen into it, put that under airlock in a warm place and let it get working well for a couple of days, and then split that starter between your fermenters. Also, try to get them up to 20°C.

Vent your brew to atmosphere, get rid of the excess SO2.
Once the sulphur dioxide comes down to an acceptable level the yeast will begin to work.
Just keep it coverd with a T-towel to prevent dirt and any possible fly.
Once fermentation starts, normal proceedures apply.
Keep us posted on how it goes :thumb:

PS Welcome to the Forum :D

Moley, Evanwine,

Many many thanks for your help - I'm really pleased that no one has just said 'throw it away',which is what I was fearing (unless you're all being polite!).

I've read about similar starters so will get that one you describe underway asap.

In the meantime, I've opened the lids and secured with a tightly secured tea towels. They've been in front of the radiators for over a week and the liquid temp is varying from 16c-20c.

I have a few questions if anyone could be so kind to chip in it would be very much appreciated:
- Is there any way that I can tell if the sulphur dioxide level is reducing?
- How do I know if fermentation is starting if I don't have an air lock fitted? Assume I just need to continue to check the gravity readings?
- Is it worth me adding any yeast, say, every week or can I assume that the yeast I've added hasn't actually been killed, but is just being supressed by the SO2?

Many thanks for all your help so far...

Back