cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put yeast nutrient and half a teaspoon of tannin in mine (only cos I read somewhere that cider apples were higher in tannin), sugar if you want it stronger. 5 litre water bottle and airlock. Isn't there a thread on here somewhere, if not there's one on another site.

Like 31bb3 I mash 3 t-bags in a large mug and add the tea to a 24 litre brew.
At the end of ferment (10 days), I rack off and add 5 campden tablets + 10 tablespoons of splenda.
I prime my 500ml bottles with a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
Your cider will be good after 4 wks, great after 8 wks, superb after 12 wks and out of this world after 6 months.
Best of luck!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Jim do you bottle as soon as you've racked or leave it a while to clear?

I remember your bottles being cloudy when I saw them, so I'm assuming bottle straight away...?

Its just im struggling to get any 'fizz' in mt TC, I tend to rack until clear then bottle with 1/2 teaspoon sugar for priming, but dont get much of a fizz when I remove cap, thought after racking most of the yeast had settled out and non left for 2nd ferment?

Sorry again for hijacking the thread.

MickD said:
I remember your bottles being cloudy when I saw them
WHAT? WHO? WHEN? :shock:
Just before the end of ferment (normally 10 days) I rack off, add 5 CT's and 10 tbls of "Splenda".
After 24 hrs I bottle (500ml) and add 1/4 tsp sugar.
Feck test and conditioning is normally achieved within 2 weeks.
QA checks are done every 4 wks, until I consider it ready for consumption.
PS I have made many a yeast culture from crystal clear pints brought home from the Pub! :D

Thanks Jim,

Yes you showed me them when I had a tour around the Evanvine brewery, when I picked up the demijohns you so kindly donated ( theyve hardly been empty since :drunk: )

I think thats where I've been going wrong then as I racked and waited till it clered before bottling, although the bottles are sediment free, just no fizz, taste ok too, but got one to rack today so will try it your way and se if I get any fizz.

Yes I remember seeing your freezer packed solid of cultures :)

Thanks again Jim.

Back