Ciders have a "distinct" funky taste to them.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bottle of them :lol:

Anything that helps really, what was used how it fermented, how it's stored and what's it's Funky taste?

Cheers Muddy,
Right first of all Turbot Cider 1
4l of Asda Apple Juice - Not from concentrate - sg taken up to 1075 using caster suger
22.5g of Alcotec 48

Temp kept at about 21°C
Left for 48 hrs Final sg 908 ish

Turbot Cider 2

4l of Asda Apple Juice from concentrate SG taken to 1085 using caster and brown soft sugar
7 g of youngs Champagne yeast
2 sticks of cinnamon
Temp kept at roughly 21°C
took 3 days to ferment out leaving final sg of 1012

Im going to bottle the second batch tonight to see if ageing makes a difference

The Alcotec yeast won't have helped its designed to produce an alcoholic liquid quickly that you treat with powdered carbon to remove taste and colour before then adding a flavouring.

and I would say that the cinnamon is responsible for the flavour in the second.

I think the first may be something to do with the juice not from concentrate? ( was was it ) and the Yeast may have stripped any flavours out, as it's mainly used for the other stuff and not worried about flavours left over.

The second batch seems like it should of worked but then seems to be fast ferment, even mine are around 7 days or longer and should of gone lower than 1.012. Unless you stopped it? Have you let them clear afterwards somewhere cold? and can you describe your funky taste?

muddydisco said:
can you describe your funky taste?
I will have to have another sip of them tonight, but its sort of a bittery taste or more stouty?
first batch is in fridge now trying to clear, second will go in when there is space

I can confirm "Turbot Cider" 1 is actually rank and will be thrown down the sink
"Turbot Cider" 2 is actually very nice and I think that time will work its wonders on it.
Thanks for all your helps guys.
I think I need to follow the recipes to the letter for the "Cheeky Vimto"

Russ

Just remember Yeast plays an Important role in the flavourings So no more turbo Yeast :nono:

rabbidruss said:
I can confirm "Turbot Cider" 1 is actually rank and will be thrown down the sink
"Turbot Cider" 2 is actually very nice and I think that time will work its wonders on it.
Thanks for all your helps guys.
I think I need to follow the recipes to the letter for the "Cheeky Vimto"

Russ

do you really have turbot ...in them ... :whistle:

Latest posts

Back