Cleaning a recently drained FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
On the weekend I plan to bottle off FV1 containing a Coopers Lager, the one that I spoke of recently in another post. During the 14 days of fermentaction, I decided to start another brew of On The Rocks Mixed Berries cider in FV2. This batch is in an airtight bucket this time and after after 8 days, activity in the airlock has virtually ground to a halt. I’m pretty sure, it too is ready to be bottled, not taken an FG yet. This cider needs to be transferred to a bottling bucket so the mixed berry flavour can be added. I will be using FV1 to accomplish this.

Question 1

After bottling the lager, how do I set about cleaning FV1 so it is ready for immediate use again. Is a good rinse and wipe down with hot water sufficient before sanitising it, or is it advisable to do a thorough cleaning routine and then sanitise?

Question 2

Regarding the cleaning product itself. After some reading, it appears that sodium percarbonate is a popular choice, whether it be a generic powder or a branded product whose active ingredients include this chemical. What other cleaning products do people use?

it appears that sodium percarbonate is a popular choice, whether it be a generic powder or a branded product
Poundland unscented oxi cleaner. You can get it in WIlko and other places but the 600g for a quid works out cheaper.

I clean mine with the shower and then paper towel and use Milton baby sterelizer tablets. I pour a couple of litres into the FV then swirl it round the inside making sure all surfaces are covered, I do this a couple of times during the 15 minutes it takes to do its thing.

Just realised, when I originally bought the starter kit I added a small pot of VWP for the sanitising (attached image) This is a rinse formula and being a beginner wanted less hassle so opted for the no rinse option Chemsan.

Providing VWP solution is rinsed thoroughly, is there then no need for a separate sanitising routine using the Chemsan. A little bit concerned that when rinsing with tap water, impurities will be re-introduced ?

9A31F5B3-6F59-4F20-B39D-1A7AE45131F6.jpeg

A little bit concerned that when rinsing with tap water, impurities will be re-introduced ?
The chances are pretty damned slim. Not many people who make kits boil all the water first. If you were paranoid about it you could boil the water you want to swill with - just getting it to 72c for 15 seconds is enough.

The chances are pretty damned slim. Not many people who make kits boil all the water first.
Thinking about that, you’re absolutely right, other than the initial heated water to dissolve the extract and dextrose, regular tap water is used. Eased my concerns greatly.

with regards to the VWP, that is a two stage solution ? so there’s need for a second sanitation cycle with a no rinse version.

Latest posts

Back