Cleaning Manky DJs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyCaner

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm going to start doing a bit of wine on the side as well as my beer. Ive acquired a fair few DJs 2nd hand from various sources but some of them are pretty dirty. What is the best way to get these all nice and clean and into a usable condition?

Cheers,

DirtyC

I found that if i added some vinager and rice to the DJ and shake and swirl around for a while it is very affective at getting all the **** off then clean with normal cleaner/steriliser. Hope this helps.

sherbyderb said:
I found that if i added some vinager and rice to the DJ and shake and swirl around for a while it is very affective at getting all the **** off then clean with normal cleaner/steriliser. Hope this helps.

We like the rice idea! :thumb:

That does sound like a good idea! Will def give it a go, just one question...

Basmati or long grain??? :D

Cheers,

DirtyC

I cleaned once an old plastic water container with sand and some cleaner that worked really well, but the rice will scratch less the glass. I guess sand is only necessary if nothing else helps.

Eggshells and bicarbonated soda do a marvellous job. Was a tip for cleaning thermos flasks and it works a treat. I always wash the eggshells first just to make sure no extra nastiest are added :thumb:

Cheers :drink:
PJ

Dunno if you can get it these days as not seen any for a while but the Bruclens cleaner gets all sorts of stains off glass DJ's 1 teaspoon in hot water leave overnight to soak then rinse.

PS Running out of mine now its over 8 years old ha ha

"The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible" reckons a short length of chain works wonders. Never needed owt more than a good soak with soda crystals myself

Back