cleaning old barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oggy_chomper

Reaction score
Hi I am hopefully going to resume brewing again after best part of twenty years absence due to offspring requiring a bedroom.
I have just found my Barrel in my mums shed where it has been stuck in a corner for about fifteen years, I opened the cap expecting it to be a bit smelly but no it smells of nothing , so my question is will it be ok to use if I clean and sanitize well ? I realise that I will have to replace the rubber washer on the tap and the one in the screw top.
I never used it for serving beer but just for bottling from because of the tap.

Dave

I would think a good clean and a sanitise and it should be fine.

Just noticed your location, my favourite pasty shop is close to you in Illogan, we have to stop in every time we are down. My wife was dragged up in Camborne, and she still has family down there. We should be down directly ;)

Thanks Runwell-Steve, this is looking better and better all I need is a Fermenting bucket now and the odds and ends and I can be away, a trip to town on saturday to price a few things up and put the request to the Supreme keeper of the purse and I could be on my way..

If your married to a Camborne Maid then get her to make you your Pasties instead of buying them...

Whosson , cousin Jan! Do'ee get zum Oxy-Clean from it Poundshop or Wilkos and skat 'un in gurt bah-rell .....him'll do a proper job o' cleanin' out and sanity-izing -.......'andsome !

:thumb: :cheers:

Back