Cleaning Stainless Buffalo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I've been through a few articles regarding this and tried a couple of the suggestions.

Specifically, I've already tried (separately) concentrated citric acid (2 dessert spoons to ~150ml water) and neat white vinegar. Both were soaked on a sponge and the sponge laid on the side of the boiler overnight (and longer).

I can't seem to shift this dull grey film on the boiler.

It's not rough, as you might expect limescale to be. Not entirely sure what it might be.

The methods I've used so far make the areas I've treated very slightly smoother, but nothing beyond that.

I did manage to get a small amount off using 2000 grit abrasive, but that is too coarse.

Should I resign myself to this being the best I can achieve?

Thanks all

20200428_161323.jpg

Last edited:
If it's seriously tough stuff that doesn't come off with citric acid then you might be looking at the start of a buildup of beerstone.

If it's seriously tough stuff that doesn't come off with citric acid then you might be looking at the start of a buildup of beerstone.
I should maybe mention that this hasn't yet (as far as I am aware) been used for brewing. It is one that I picked up second hand and I'm assuming it's been used as intended, for water heating.

+1 for Barkeepers Friend. Failing that using some neat acid (being very very careful) may bring it up

Bar Keeper's Friend for the win!

I remembered I had some of this at the back of the sink cupboard. It needed a bit more elbow grease than I had originally wanted to expend, but I now have a spic and span boiler ready to mod. Tap and associated accoutrements on their way.

20200430_120401.jpg

Thanks for the pointers!

Last edited:
Back