Clear beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have noticed that there are many references to hazy beer on here especially from all grain Brewers and I thought I might put down what I do which may or may not help. I really only do all grain now and have only had one beer that has been slightly hazy and as I am not doing anything special (as far as I know) thought that if I put my process down it might help others.

For all my all grains at the moment I use various grains, with the base being either Maris Otter or Golden promise. I have used some wheat and would expect haze from that but generally use these base grains and then add in Carapils, Carared, Amber etc etc as per the recipe and beer type.

I usually mash for 60 minutes, sparge (if you can call it that) using around 17l of water at 77c using a collider and a jug. I brew for 70mins and only use leaf hops at the moment in muslin bags. I use a Profloc tablet at 15to go and use a stainless steel wort chiller at the end. I siphon off the wort leaving the bottom crud and then strain this last bit off using a fine net nylon bag (from the home brew shop) into a jug (both items sanitised by Starsan). I pitch the yeast and at this stage the beer isn't really clear.
I then leave the beer to ferment for at least 14 days at room temp unless it's a larger, most times a week longer, and when I am ready I siphon to a bottling bucket and leave again for a couple of days. This helps it clear further as far as I can tell given the bottom of the bucket at the end.

I leave bottle indoors for two weeks and then move outside to the garage for the rest until I drink it. Even before this it is almost always clear.

I don't know whether it is the length of time I leave it to ferment, or whether it is using hop leaves or the profloc but whatever it is it works for me.

sparge (if you can call it that) using around 17l of water at 77c using a collider and a jug.

Nice of the chaps at CERN to let you use their kit!:wink:

Apart from dunk sparging that is pretty much what I do and my beers end up nice and clear.

Using a quite floccuant yeast can help with clarity too

Not to mention pouring properly, a few people I've given bottles to complained of it being cloudy and it was down to the way they poured it.

Cold crashing has made a difference to me (which I guess is my equivalent to leaving in a bottling bucket for a few days), as has not trying to get every last drop out of the fv.

Using a quite floccuant yeast can help with clarity too

At the moment I am only using dry yeast and have tried Fermentis US05 as my main go to with Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell and Empire Ale tried as well as Fermentis 04, wilkos Gervin and Danestars windsor and Nottingham...they all seem to be good for this. Hopefully getting a beaker and stirplate for Christmas so might try the liquid yeasts later on.

Not to mention pouring properly, a few people I've given bottles to complained of it being cloudy and it was down to the way they poured it.

Cold crashing has made a difference to me (which I guess is my equivalent to leaving in a bottling bucket for a few days), as has not trying to get every last drop out of the fv.

I always make a special label for the last one out of the bucket as I know it will be sediment central!

For those doing BIAB - excessive squeezing of the bag seems to produce hazy beer as you manage to force out finer particles which would otherwise be trapped in the mashed grains.
I hardly do any squeezing at all these days and my beer is coming out much clearer than it used to. Not that I'm particularly bothered.

At the moment I am only using dry yeast and have tried Fermentis US05 as my main go to with Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell and Empire Ale tried as well as Fermentis 04, wilkos Gervin and Danestars windsor and Nottingham...they all seem to be good for this. Hopefully getting a beaker and stirplate for Christmas so might try the liquid yeasts later on.

I mosty use dried yeast too. I recently made a wherry with Liberty Bell. After it had finished fermenting I racked to a secondary for a week. It's the clearest beer I've every made. It looks like it's been filtered or something

For those doing BIAB - excessive squeezing of the bag seems to produce hazy beer as you manage to force out finer particles which would otherwise be trapped in the mashed grains.
I hardly do any squeezing at all these days and my beer is coming out much clearer than it used to. Not that I'm particularly bothered.

I squeeze the bejusess out of my mash bag. Maybe I should stop doing that

Irish moss made a huge difference to my brews, I still get away with a bit of squeezing too...

I have often thought that. Definitely wont have to do it anymore. Might as well let it drain naturally.

Apart from what's already been mentioned.......I really don't know whether this actually works maybe I should try it but I read someware that a small addition of black malt 10 to 20g right at the end of the mash immediately before sparging can improve the clarity of the final beer? Apparently it doesn't add any appreciable colour or flavour? Iv no idea of the science behind it though?
Also I allways fly sparge I think this makes a difference as the grain bed isn't disturbed at the end of the mash. The grain is a great filter.& I use a hop strainer & leaf hops in the boiler as a filter bed for the trub

I use the bag in my mush tun (really a tweaked Buffolo boiler) and my wife devised a way of using a bungy cord to run under the table and hook the two handles of the bag to lift it up inside the mash tun. Thus allows it to drain naturally. I don't squeeze it at all.

I mosty use dried yeast too. I recently made a wherry with Liberty Bell. After it had finished fermenting I racked to a secondary for a week. It's the clearest beer I've every made. It looks like it's been filtered or something

Yes liking the Liberty bell :thumb:

Clarity isn't something that everyone bothered me much, but it always annoys me a little when I give a homebrew to a non-craft beer drinker and the first thing they do is hold the glass up to check clarity then give you a funny look because it's not crystal clear :roll:
So I decided to give gelatin a try a few brews ago and it definitely works. It's also incredibly simple:
Add 1/2 tsp of dried gelatin to 60ml cold water
Heat in microwave to about 65-70℃
Add to your brew, preferably during the cold crash
Leave for a day or 2
Done

Clarity isn't something that everyone bothered me much, but it always annoys me a little when I give a homebrew to a non-craft beer drinker and the first thing they do is hold the glass up to check clarity then give you a funny look because it's not crystal clear :roll:
So I decided to give gelatin a try a few brews ago and it definitely works. It's also incredibly simple:
Add 1/2 tsp of dried gelatin to 60ml cold water
Heat in microwave to about 65-70℃
Add to your brew, preferably during the cold crash
Leave for a day or 2
Done

Sounds good but is it suitable for vegaterians?

Latest posts

Back