Fermentables

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbstarbird

Reaction score
Hi, couple queries. I've been allgrain brewing few years. I've kept track of OG and Final Gravity but never bothered adjusting when OG was out. Didn't think I could do much but getting more interested in that side of brewing.
So if I get recipe with the OG stated, is there a calculation I can get to get the pre-boil gravity. Adjust at this point.
Second is does it matter when to add fermentables, pre or post boil etc. Just add at the end.
Thanks.

Your brewing software will give you a predicted OG. If it is out there are calculators e.g. Brewers Friend that will help you work out how much water or dme to add to get your desired OG.
You can then adjust your efficiency settings in your software to get it closer next brew.
As for adding fermentables, I assume you mean sugars, dme or lme that are listed in the recipe. I rarely brew recipes that call for them, but when I do, I bad them about 15 minutes better end of the boil.

Hi, couple queries. I've been allgrain brewing few years. I've kept track of OG and Final Gravity but never bothered adjusting when OG was out. Didn't think I could do much but getting more interested in that side of brewing.
So if I get recipe with the OG stated, is there a calculation I can get to get the pre-boil gravity. Adjust at this point.
Second is does it matter when to add fermentables, pre or post boil etc. Just add at the end.
Thanks.
There is a calculation to go back and get your pre-boil gravity but that is when brew day is finished and the wort is in the fermenter.
I think I understand your question about what you can do if you don't hit your target OG. You can add fermentables but that doesn't solve the problem, that is just a band aid on brew day. As said above adjust your efficiency. Milling your own grain and making sure mash temperatures are on target throughout will help. Weights of grain, losses to boil off, grain absorption, and wort into fermenter (clear wort into fermenter not all the debris from the kettle) need to be accurate

Latest posts

Back