Clear bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vallyred

Reaction score
Evening all...

My local pub has agreed to keep me empty bottles for when I need them, only problem is they are clear (Somersby) cider bottles.

I just wanted to confirm that they will be okay for conditioning beer as long as they're kept out of direct sunlight?

I have been taking advantage of the fact my back garden isn't in direct sun in winter to cold store my brews in large lidded plastic boxes so as long as the bottles are ok to use then I could save myself a bit of dosh.

:cheers: in advance for the advice.

VR

If the bottles are clear you won't only need to keep them out of direct sunlight but out of any light at all! So do these boxes let in any light at all ? If so you need to change your plans and get some brown bottles or get boxes that don't let any light in.

Even ambient light will skunk your beer.

Do yourself a favour and get some brown bottles.

If you cant find somewhere dartk to keep them in, just wrap the boxes in something that blocks light, whilst you laugh at pathetic people scared of clear glass. Job done. :thumb:

I have noticed loads of ales being sold in clear glass recently. How are they doing it? Some sort of filtration maybe?

I've used clear bottles since I started and have never had any problems with off flavours, etc.
I keep all my bottles in plastic recycling boxes outside in the garden with the lid on.

hophead said:
I have noticed loads of ales being sold in clear glass recently. How are they doing it? Some sort of filtration maybe?

Some breweries use techniques to guard against light skunking in clear bottles such as using tetra hop which doesn't react to light.

Ah i see. You would think it would be simpler to use brown, but i guess some breweries like you to see the colour of the beer. I have been buying bottled beer to build up stocks and some are simply awful! hope my efforts are better :cheers:

Well I think I'll be taking him up on his offer. I do have a supply of brown bottles but I think I'll bolster that supply with clear ones. Cheaper to get a black out box than buy bottles I guess.

Back