Clearing Taking An Age...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizidave

Reaction score
On my second batch of WOW (the first was lovel and is now gone) i have tried adding soem fresh raspberies at a later stage (approx SG 1.000).

I mashed teh raspberried and added some pectolase and left for 24 hrs before straining through a seive and then adding to the brew.

I also used pectolase on teh original WOW (i have started doing this now as a matterof course?).

Everything OK but has been clearing now for 2 weeks and there is still a slight "haze" at the bottom of the DJ.

Im not necessarily impatient but am amazed at teh time difference for the addition of a few raspberies. Im hoping that it will fully clear at some point.

we're impatient in this house, we add finings, wait a few days, run it through a filter, sweeten and drink.

I have trouble keeping up with swmbo, I botted 29 for her last week so it's time to get some more on.

If you can't get to a lhbs then try gelatine sheet (found in baking section of supermarket), a small piece dissolved in hot water (80c) then put in demijohn. Also try putting it somewhere cold or on a concrete floor this will help it drop. I have a wow and 2 ciders which have cleared in a few days with this method.

:cheers:

Ive invested in a VinBrite filter.

I know it wont clear heavy stuff, which is fine, but hopefully it will make the wine shine.

interestingly, the batches that have cleared more slowly were done with finings (vinclear) and they were the last out of teh bottle.

im sure ive read on here somewhere that teh finings seem to be less effective the further down the bottle you get, may be true.

Latest posts

Back