CO2 (fire extinguisher type) fill needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I got my Corny system from Norm recently but there must have been a small leak in the CO2 hoses somewhere as the cylinder is empty after a week!

Can these cylinders be refilled? I asked my local fire station but they were unsure without the manufacturer's details. I'm in North London and have one of the cylinders pictured:
IMAG0192.jpg

I really don't fancy having to buy a new one as this could price me out of the whole Corny system!
Thanks in advance.

I recently got my corny setup from Norm aswell which was ace. Keg's were superb but bloody hell, the system didn't half leak.

Took me ages to sort it.

K

As an aside, I had just enough to fill and purge the keg after adding my beer. After the beer absorbs this CO2, will it keep OK since there is no oxygen in there? I realise that I won't be able to extract it until I get a top up but don't mind as long as the beer stays good.

Google search Fire Extinguisher Servicing. Or look at the previous post where you asked the same question and I gave you a long list of options in North London.

As for the leaking, unless you have assembled it all correctly, Norms kit is not pre assembled, then it will leak.

You need to ensure all pipe ends are cut square and pushed all the way into the John Guest fittings, you need to make sure all the screw threads on the fittings are gas tight, PTFE tape will help.
The kegs are all airtight, this is proven as they.all arrive pressurized.

I think it is a common failing by new buyers as I did axactly the same didn't tighten every thing up properly so it leaked

I found the best way to deal with this is

fill a spray bottle with a washing up liquid and water mix
tighten everything up
turn on gas and spray everything with the bottle
where you see bubbles tighten more till the bubbles stop :thumb:

Could any of you guys who have these fire extinguisher types of CO2 please post a couple of decent pics on here showing full length cylinder and the valve/gas out connection do dar?
Maybe label too if poss?
Looks like i may be able to get this stuff over here if i can get decent piccies to show the locals.

Many Thanks in advance
:cheers:
Scream

Thanks for that Steve. I didn't realise that fire extinguishers and the CO2 bottles were so similar. Looks like a trip to Enfield may be on the cards this weekend!

As I see it, these bottles are fire extinguishers with the head replaced. My research has confirmed they don't have a test date stamp on and as such, don't comply with regulations. I would not be happy to fill one and charge as if there was ever a problem, the fill agent would be in serious trouble.

JABB said:
As I see it, these bottles are fire extinguishers with the head replaced. My research has confirmed they don't have a test date stamp on and as such, don't comply with regulations. I would not be happy to fill one and charge as if there was ever a problem, the fill agent would be in serious trouble.

PMSL it wouldnt bother them here - someone will do it :rofl:

In that case, I may just have a word with my friendly local landlord to see if I can ask him to order me a small CO2 cylinder from his supplier. I've already been plying him with homebrews for the last month or so! :D

I have one coming from my local. Far safer and in test. Any problems, BOC will be libel. It may seem trivial to some, but in my case, the cylinder will be indoors. I don't want to worry about the top blowing off and the trouble that would bring. My local fire extinguish man told me he knew of an old cylinder blowing off and the valve went through the engineer, through 2 walls and landed in the car park. The other thing to try would be to take your cylinder to a test facility and get them to test it, and stamp it.
Also, I'm sure the Turks would have a more lax view on safety, but it is the same cylinder, same gas, same pressure, and same danger. For a few quid more, I feel it better to be safe.

JABB said:

Mine does have a test stamp date on it, and complies with regulations.

The place I get it filled are completely happy it's safe, but do want to service it fully once it's five years old.

When I asked the simple question of if the cylinder had a test stamp on to the one currently for sale on ebay at £45, I was simply told "NO"
Some may have, in which case, you have a good cylinder. The ones without, I wouldn't touch and anyone willing to refill is foolish. Rules and regulations are there for a reason.

Well this isn't good. I've spent the best part of an hour phoning every company I can in London and I only got two responses:

- They do not trade with residential customers
- or they do not refill cylinders with no date stamp.

Have I basically wasted £40 on a cylinder that I can't use? :evil:

WelshPaul said:
Have I basically wasted £40 on a cylinder that I can't use? :evil:

you did use it though, very quickly......................................................... :rofl:

Back