Cold Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it's certainly taken a turn for the chillier out there this evening - in fact the first frost of the Autumn is forecast tonight for us softies down here in the 'Sarf'.
If only my bitter was a week or so further along then I'd be able to leave the FV outside the back door to let tonight's weather cold crash it for me :laugh8:

Seriously though, I currently can't chill below 16ºC; so is there any value at all in the idea of leaving a Corny outside for a week or two for a bit of cold conditioning as the weather gets colder (assuming it doesn't actually go subzero for days on end). I guess at the moment the daytime temps are in the 8-12º range whereas the nights are starting to get down in the 5-0º range. That's quite a day/night variation, but if one were to wrap the keg up a bit or put it in a reasonably well insulated space like the garden shed, then it should experience more like the average temp without so much variation.

I've not cold conditioned before so I'm uncertain what sort of target temp one should be looking for.... advice appreciated :-) Thanks, TETB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back