Cold crashed mexican beer still cloudy, should i leave it for longer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropicalpalmtree

Reaction score
Hi, I'm brewing a coopers mexican cerveza (my first one), it has been fermenting for 2 weeks, & 2 day ago i began cold crashing it in the fridge.

i was going to bottle tonight but the beer is still pretty cloudy/hazy, so unsure of whether to continue with bottling, or leave it in the fridge for a few more days?

any suggestions? thanks

Hi @tropicalpalmtree, had the fermentation finished i.e no blibbing in the airlock, FG taken and constant over at least 2-3 days? and what temp was it recommended to ferment at and what did you ferment at? Never had chill haze on a kit before. I had a Coopers Eurolager fermenting for 2 weeks and took a reading at 1.010 and it was very cloudy, left it 2 days and its pretty clear and is 1.008 so cold crashing it now for a couple of days.

It's chill haze likely, proteins which cause the beer to become cloudy when cold.

I use gelatin and cold crashing to get clear beer. The secret is to cold crash colder (as cold as you can) than what you plan serving your beer at.

http://brulosophy.com/2015/01/05/the-gelatin-effect-exbeeriment-results/

the fridge i have it in at the moment is like 2 degrees celcius so its about as cold as i can get it without worrying about it freezing up lol

ill look into the gelatine, would you recommend i do that then? or should i just bottle it up?

the fridge i have it in at the moment is like 2 degrees celcius so its about as cold as i can get it without worrying about it freezing up lol

ill look into the gelatine, would you recommend i do that then? or should i just bottle it up?
Gelatine probably isn't necessary for kit beers.

Your beer may look cloudier than it actually is. Rack to a bottling bucket and go for itathumb..

Hi @tropicalpalmtree, had the fermentation finished i.e no blibbing in the airlock, FG taken and constant over at least 2-3 days? and what temp was it recommended to ferment at and what did you ferment at? Never had chill haze on a kit before. I had a Coopers Eurolager fermenting for 2 weeks and took a reading at 1.010 and it was very cloudy, left it 2 days and its pretty clear and is 1.008 so cold crashing it now for a couple of days.

yeah the fermentation had finished, got the same reading for 3 days. 18 degrees ferment, and it was at 18 degrees for the full 2 weeks, not really sure what to do now? just left it in the fridge.

Gelatine probably isn't necessary for kit beers.

Your beer may look cloudier than it actually is. Rack to a bottling bucket and go for itathumb..

its in the coopers fermenter so pretty much ready to go to be honest, i did pour some into a glass to check and it looked pretty cloudy, but if you think its okay then ill get it bottled :)

I brew kits, usually using Coopers one cans as a base, but rarely without some form of grain addition, a steep, small mash etc, and often with some torrified wheat. I don't remember ever getting a haze with a basic kit and a kilo type approach when I used to do that, but now sometimes I can get a slight haze on some lighter beers, which is definitely not yeast related. However the haze usually goes after a few weeks storage, and the same beer can then become crystal clear. I only used gelatin once, more by way of experiment, and ended up with clumps in the beer, so don't use it. And I rarely crash cool in my fridge before packaging although I do place the fermented beer in the garage for two days before packaging which is only as cold as ambient allows it to be.

The way to identify chill haze is to let it warm up and it should clear. It's only beers stored in the fridge that get like this, in fact mine normally clear in the glass as I'm drinking them as they warm up.

Most of the yeast should have dropped our after 2 days in the fridge, can you take a small sample and leave it on the side to warm up? Personally I'd bottle it now.

Latest posts

Back