Cold crashing ~ How long is enough!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the longest you have cold crashed your beer.

• Never

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 1 week

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 months

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Longer

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Yes they do but I have found that when using a fining in fv there is then less stuff to drop out in the corny meaning whenever I stub my toe on keg I don't send it all back into suspension.
I must admit when I'm cleaning the keg once emptied there is always yeast in the bottom regardless..

I always transfer from my primary to my 2FV/bottling bucket even if its going in a keg. I want to get the beer off the ****. I then cold crash for about 3 days and 2 weeks for a lager. I believe that gravity plays a bigger role in clarity than temperature as I always have some **** at the bottom of the 2FV.

If I'm bottling beers should I cold crash in primary fv or rack into bottling bucket? If I rack to bottling bucket how should I batch prime?
Cold crash in primary and batch prime in either depending on your preference and priming will depend on what level of Co2 you require per bottle times that in your fermenter.

I usually drop the temp to -0.5 C in the fermenter with a balloon of co2 attached instead of the airlock to minimise oxidation. It takes approx a day to drop from 20 C. I leave it for 24 - 48 hrs at -0.5 C then transfer to corny keg and carbonate. More haze forming matter comes out of solution at lower temps, I once went lower than 0.5C and the beer started to freeze so haven't gone lower recently. I sometimes fine with gelatin ( especially lagers, not pale ales though) and beers come out pretty much clear in a week.

I forgot about a saison that I was cold crashing. Must’ve been sat in the fridge for 8 or 9 weeks. I bottled it straight away and it carbed up fine without having to add any extra yeast. I’d do this again but I just do not have the patience.

I have never cold crashed a brew.....yet. Its something I have thought about though.
What is the optimum temperature for cold crashing? I am thinking between 1 degree and 4 degrees?

I have never cold crashed a brew.....yet. Its something I have thought about though.
What is the optimum temperature for cold crashing? I am thinking between 1 degree and 4 degrees?
I normally go for 2° but some go lower where this then runs the risk of freezing and also depends on the accuracy of the thermostat on your fridge.

Latest posts

Back