Cold crashing ~ How long is enough!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the longest you have cold crashed your beer.

• Never

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 1 week

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 months

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Longer

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the start of June I brewed my Lockdown V2 which was an IPA with Mandarina bavaria, eldorado, mosaic and amarillo hops.
It was ready for kegging mid June but I couldn't be bothered so set it to cold crash @ 2° with good intentions to get it done but it didn't happen and kept telling myself it was going to go off.
Last week the missus decided that we didn't need a 2nd fridge in the kitchen so I jumped at the chance and said I'll take it out and replace my old one. To do this (Yes you guessed it) I had to empty the old fridge so I did this yesterday and put the beer to one side.
Last night I checked it and to my surprise it was bursting with hop aroma so had a sneaky taste which then spurred me to get my keg sorted and finally transfer it. It was so nice that while transferring I filled a pint glass and another when it was done and still find it hard to believe it sat that long and was still fantastic.
It's currently on gas carbonating and can't wait.
Surprising to know that it can last perfectly in the right conditions.

I cold crash after I have transferred it to the barrel and left it a week to carbonate before cold crashing. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Usually cold crash mine for a week at 2C, then force carbonate for the last day at 30psi, then raise to serving temp & set pressure to ~10psi. My beers are stubborn and usually don't clear fully, but still taste okay.

I cold crash after I have transferred it to the barrel and left it a week to carbonate before cold crashing. Have I been doing it wrong all these years?
It's each to their own though I find cold crashing first drops a lot out of suspension leaving it clearer when transferring to keg or bottle.

3, maybe 4 days if i don't have the time to package on 3rd.

Last three brews I have stirred in some Kwik Clear, dropped to 1C for 3 days and been more careful when moving FV into position prior to kegging. I have noted a marked increase in he clarity of the beers since. Albeit they still do need some time to look completely bright.

The thing is we all like a clear beer but I wonder how many of us aren't that bothered with a bit of haze?
Some of mine are crystal in the bottle,and pour as such...until I get a bit of yeast in there..

Yep I don't mind a bit of haze and often pour a couple straight from FV but some of the philistines supping it different story...I have just sent off 3 mini kegs with my brother in law to settle ahead of a beer festival he is having on Friday in lieu of annual Olympia trip. I know that the folk there (mainly in laws) will be judgemental of anything not clear and I know that I should not care but it seems to be a mark of perceived quality in non homebrewing circles where they start with the supposition that commercial brews are always better and its about how close us amateurs can get to them in appearance.

It's each to their own though I find cold crashing first drops a lot out of suspension leaving it clearer when transferring to keg or bottle.
Thanks, I will try that next time to see if it makes any difference.
At the moment I have a Muntons gold continental pilsner that's proving to be a right bugger to clear looks more like orange squash. Tastes alright though so may just draw off a dozen or so bottles to store in the garage and drink the rest as it is.

Last three brews I have stirred in some Kwik Clear, dropped to 1C for 3 days and been more careful when moving FV into position prior to kegging. I have noted a marked increase in he clarity of the beers since. Albeit they still do need some time to look completely bright.
Something I never used is finings as I find they clear themselves and no whirfloc etc.

The thing is we all like a clear beer but I wonder how many of us aren't that bothered with a bit of haze?
Some of mine are crystal in the bottle,and pour as such...until I get a bit of yeast in there..
I actually prefer a beer with some haze, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest

Something I never used is finings as I find they clear themselves and no whirfloc etc.

Yes they do but I have found that when using a fining in fv there is then less stuff to drop out in the corny meaning whenever I stub my toe on keg I don't send it all back into suspension.

Latest posts

Back