Cold crash misunderstanding

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help. I have a euro lager just finished fermentation. I was going to transfer into a corny keg as it fits in my fridge. But want to bottle condition.
So what do I do after cold crashing. I’m assuming this will removed a lot of yeast from the solution.
So if I warm up slowly and transfer this into bottles will there be enough yeast to react with the sugar in the bottles. Or is there another way. Thanks

Just bottle it when you are ready i.e cold crash it for the length of time that suits you and as said there will be enough yeast left in the beer to carbonate in a warm place similar to fermentation temp

So if I warm up slowly and transfer this into bottles will there be enough yeast to react with the sugar in the bottles.
There will always be enough yeast in the bottles to consume the sugar to carbonate the bottles. Even if it looks completely clear, it still has sufficient yeast in it (unless you actually filter out the yeast)

You'll be fine to bottle condition after cold crashing. There'll still be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate the beer, assuming you don't do an exceptionally long cold crash.

I crash for 3 days normally and then bottle, never had an issue with them not carbonating.
So you warm up to the yeast fermentation temp and your sugar.

Do you prime with sugar prior to cold crashing.
No.

When there is sugar left in the wort/beer, the yeast will metabolise (eat) it. The CO2 they gives the yeast buoyancy and this is what gives the fermenting beer a cloudy appearance.

Once it's finished fermenting (and cold crashing helps speed up the process), the yeast sinks (flocculates) to the bottom of the fermenter and the beer becomes clear (not all yeast, but a lot of it).

If you add sugar at this point, two things will happen.
1 - as you stir the sugar in to make sure it's homogenised (evenly mixed) it'll stir up the yeast back into suspension and make your beer cloudy again.
2 - the yeast will start to ferment the sugar, and get lifted off the bottom, making it cloudy again.

You want to bottle with clear beer, as that way you get less yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

You want to do the following, in this order:
1. Ferment as normal, and wait for it to finish
2. Cold crash (or wait longer) to allow the yeast to floculate/fall out of suspension and get clear beer
3. Transfer to a keg/bottles. You can either do this directly and add priming sugar to the bottles/keg, or transfer to a bottling bucket, mix the sugar (evenly) with the beer in the bottling bucket, then immediately transfer to the keg/bottles

No.

When there is sugar left in the wort/beer, the yeast will metabolise (eat) it. The CO2 they gives the yeast buoyancy and this is what gives the fermenting beer a cloudy appearance.

Once it's finished fermenting (and cold crashing helps speed up the process), the yeast sinks (flocculates) to the bottom of the fermenter and the beer becomes clear (not all yeast, but a lot of it).

If you add sugar at this point, two things will happen.
1 - as you stir the sugar in to make sure it's homogenised (evenly mixed) it'll stir up the yeast back into suspension and make your beer cloudy again.
2 - the yeast will start to ferment the sugar, and get lifted off the bottom, making it cloudy again.

You want to bottle with clear beer, as that way you get less yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

You want to do the following, in this order:
1. Ferment as normal, and wait for it to finish
2. Cold crash (or wait longer) to allow the yeast to floculate/fall out of suspension and get clear beer
3. Transfer to a keg/bottles. You can either do this directly and add priming sugar to the bottles/keg, or transfer to a bottling bucket, mix the sugar (evenly) with the beer in the bottling bucket, then immediately transfer to the keg/bottles
Brilliant. Got it

Latest posts

Back