Cold Crashing in Fermentation Bin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamiekid87

Reaction score
I am about to cold crash my Mangrove Jacks Juicy IPA after dry hopping. The instructions do not specify this is essential, but after lots of youtube binge watching it got me thinking about cold crashing.

I was thinking of adding my beer straight to corny keg and setting a low psi for 24 hours say 5psi then force carbing it for 48 hours at 30 psi, prior to serving. Video reference here minus the gelatine.

But what if I just left the beer in the fermentation bucket and crash cool for 24 hours, what concerns me is the blowback of water into the bucket as it contracts. any tips or should I stick to my guns and crash in corny keg?

So when I cold crash, because I am lazy I remove the airlock, block the hole with clingfilm and then tape another square over the top to make it air tight and pop it in the fridge. Not had any noticeable oxidation so its working.

The MJ Juicy IPA isn't quite a NEIPA but its still quite cloudy after cold crashing if I remember. If I was doing it again I'd give it an extra week in primary and not bother cold crashing again.

I'd just keg it, chill it and then gas it up. It didn't need much conditioning either, I think we were on it the day after it went into the keezer and it was a pretty good. I think it was spot on after a week.

amazing thank you, I am working on a limited time frame too as I want it on tap for Christmas day, what PSI did you find worked for serving on this 8 - 10 psi?

Did you cling film over the whole lid then put the lid pack on a tape film over the hole? I do like this idea as i want to avoid as much sediment in the keg as possible

I bung the hole in the lid up and then tape an A4 sized bit of cling film down on top.

I think I did it around 10 psi.

If you get it in today, then you'll be able to keg it and start carbing at the weekend.

For the future you might think if going down the brewloon route. Use a foil type balloon, mod to fit a plastic tube to bypass the valve, fill with CO2 and connect to fermentation bucket instead of bubbler for cold crashing. Only CO2 will get sucked back as your brew cools.

I'm damn lazy - I don't use a airlock when brewing and just leave the lid cracked open a fraction. Then I just close it fully for the cold crash. Never caused me any issues and nice and simple.

Latest posts

Back