Cold Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmickey

Reaction score
hi All
ive had to store my brews outside for a few days into a small garden storage shed ( dont ask!! ) so the fermentation process has slowed/stopped. they were both in week 2/3 in the process. will moving them back into the warmth of my kitchen revive them?

both are 25 litre batches.

weve not had a frost yet.

thanks

Neil

i cant claim to be an expert but ive heard keeping the temp constant is as important as the temp itself.
However if your 3 weeks into the ferm the chances are they are probably nearly done anyway.
Moving them back into the warm is likely to get some signs of life back. But my kitchen actually fluctuates in temp a fair bit.

Im also banished, to the garage, and with the onset of winter ive had to get creative.
Ive bought a couple of brew belts and can get them round 3 djs each.
with your large 25l containers you will need one belt per item.
Ive also boxed in a shelf with cardboard and put a electric fan room heater with the thermostat on min. this works really well and is hardly ever on.
I can fit 5 djs in there.

Cold should only slow down or stop fermentation temporarily, it will pick up again when it warms up.

Fermentation at higher temperatures tends to cause more off flavours but I've never had low temp cause that issue.

Should all be fine.

Latest posts

Back