Competition feedback on beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
Results of a homebrew comp were announced last thursday, in which I had 4 beers entered. 1 was chucked in just to fill a category even tho I wasnt that impressed with it (bit pointless)
one was given good comments, but wrong style apparently. Was told if it had been in right category would have scored a lot higher. (was in amber, should have been pale ale. actual style is bang on ESB)
Curious about comments on the other two beers. A habanero porter and chocolate espresso stout. Both got good comments, but both were noted for being a bit thin. Habanero porter at 7.2% Thin for abv and a little watery, gets better with drinking. ( :lol: )
The choc espresso stout was complimented on the flavours, but again was noted for needing more body. "Good beer, more body and its a winner"
Head retention on all beers was remarked on needing improvement. Anyone up for helping troubleshoot? :drink:

Choc espresso stout: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=21714
Habanero Porter (10l batch)
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.50 kg Pale Malt 79.4 %
0.10 kg Black (1339.6 EBC) 3.2 %
0.32 kg Crystal Malt(39.4 EBC) 10.0 %
0.07 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) 2.3 %
0.16 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) 5.1 %
20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Sounds like your on the right lines!
I should probably asking you how to get my beers better than giving you advice!
A little wheat malt helps with head retention apparently.
R

I think 1 tsp of irish moss might be too much for 10l - too much will reduce head retention

What temp do you mash at?

I believe mashing a bit warmer, say 68c will result in more body :thumb:

Head retention.. grrrr. An annoying part of judging. If it tastes better than the rest then clarity and head retention should be ignored. If you have two very similar finalists then they should be considered!

D

Back